Calculating Time for a Boat to Slow Down Using Friction and Kinematics

• Thread starter Parth Dave
  • Start date
In summary, a 1000 kg boat traveling at 90 km/h experiences a frictional force, fk, that is proportional to its speed, v. The equation for this relationship is fk = 70v, with v in meters per second and fk in Newtons. To find the time required for the boat to slow to 45 km/h, we can use the equation m\frac{dv}{dt} = -70v and solve for t. Despite some initial confusion, the question was eventually resolved.
Parth Dave
A 1000 kg boat is traveling at 90 km/h when its engine is shut off. The magnitude of the frictional force, fk, between boat and water is proportional to the speed, v, of the boat: fk = 70v, where v is in meters per second and fk is in Newtons. Find the time required for the boat to slow to 45 hm/h.

Now, I have absolutely no clue as to what to do. I've tried a lot of different things and they have all led absolutely nowhere. I do know however that the a = 0.07v. Thats about all i can say for sure :cry: . Could someone nudge me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this help?

[tex]m\frac{dv}{dt} = -70v[/tex]

Never mind, i figured it out.

Yes it did tide, but you were about 10 seconds to late :P.

Related to Calculating Time for a Boat to Slow Down Using Friction and Kinematics

What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. It is caused by the contact between two surfaces and is dependent on the types of surfaces and the force pushing them together.

How is friction calculated?

The force of friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (a measure of how easily two surfaces slide against each other) by the normal force (the force pushing the surfaces together).

What factors affect friction?

The main factors that affect friction are the types of surfaces in contact, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the smoothness of the surfaces. Additionally, temperature and the presence of lubricants can also affect friction.

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time.

How is kinematics used to solve friction problems?

Kinematics is used to solve friction problems by analyzing the motion of objects and determining the forces that are causing the motion. By understanding how friction affects the motion of an object, we can use kinematic equations to calculate the object's position, velocity, and acceleration. These calculations can then be used to find the force of friction acting on the object.