Calculating Time for a Person Pulling a Lawn Mower

• Thread starter zaddyzad
  • Start date
In summary, a person pulls a 20kg lawnmower with a force of 25.0N at a 15* angle with the horizontal and a coefficient of friction of 0.100. The work done by the person is 109J and the work done by friction is -85.3J. To find the time, one can use the net horizontal force on the lawnmower and a kinematic equation, resulting in a time of 5.89 seconds.
zaddyzad

Homework Statement

A person pulls on a 20kg lawnmower with a force of 25.0N and moves the mower 4.50metes. The handle angle is 15* with the horizontal and μ=0.100.
a) Work done by person √ = 109J
B) Work done by friction √ = -85.3J
C) Find the time ?

Homework Equations

P= W/T = W*(constant velocity)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use one of the power equations though I had 2 unknowns (P and T). I have no idea how to go about finding the time.

Physics news on Phys.org
zaddyzad said:

Homework Statement

A person pulls on a 20kg lawnmower with a force of 25.0N and moves the mower 4.50metes. The handle angle is 15* with the horizontal and μ=0.100.
a) Work done by person √ = 109J
B) Work done by friction √ = -85.3J
C) Find the time ?

Homework Equations

P= W/T = W*(constant velocity)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use one of the power equations though I had 2 unknowns (P and T). I have no idea how to go about finding the time.

What's the net horizontal force on the lawnmower? What then is the motion? Can you think of a suitable kinematic equation to find the time given the distance traveled?

Thank you very much for the help :D. Got it 5.89s

Related to Calculating Time for a Person Pulling a Lawn Mower

What is the purpose of pulling a lawn mower?

The purpose of pulling a lawn mower is to cut and maintain the grass in a yard or outdoor space.

What are the potential health risks of pulling a lawn mower?

Potential health risks of pulling a lawn mower include muscle strain or injury from repetitive movements, exposure to exhaust fumes, and debris flying up and causing eye or skin irritation.

What are some safety precautions to take when pulling a lawn mower?

Some safety precautions to take when pulling a lawn mower include wearing appropriate clothing and closed-toe shoes, checking for any potential hazards in the yard before mowing, and making sure the lawn mower is in good working condition.

How can pulling a lawn mower impact the environment?

Pulling a lawn mower can impact the environment by emitting air pollutants from the exhaust, contributing to noise pollution, and potentially causing harm to insects and small animals in the yard.

Are there any alternatives to pulling a lawn mower?

Yes, there are alternatives to pulling a lawn mower such as using an electric or manual push mower, hiring a lawn care service, or creating a natural lawn with native plants that require less maintenance.