Calculating Time for Immersion Heater to Raise Water Temperature

• Thread starter physicskillsme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heater
In summary, the immersion heater in an electric hot water system is rated at 9 kW and will take 1748 seconds to raise the temperature of 40 oC in a tank filled with 150 litres of cold water at 15 oC.
physicskillsme
Extracted from another thread tha had got a bit messy.

The immersion heater in an electric hot water system is rated at 9 kW. If the tank is initially filled with 40 gallons (about 150 litres, with a mass of 150 kg) of cold water at 15 oC, how long will it take the heater to raise the temperature to 40 oC?

Ok this is as far as I have got:

Q=CmdeltaT

deltaT=40-15 = 25

q=Q=4196*150*25

15735000J

Ok so now I need to get time.

p=deltaq/deltat

So to get time do I just say time=p*delta q ?

Physics news on Phys.org
physicskillsme said:
So to get time do I just say time=p*delta q ?

Almost but not quite, i think you algerbraic skills are letting you down;

[tex]P = \frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta t} [/tex]

[tex]P\Delta t = \Delta Q[/tex]

[tex]\Delta t = \frac{\Delta Q}{P}[/tex]

Your theory is right, just the manipulation. A quick check to see if your manipulation is right is to take a look at the units.

-Hoot:smile:

Hootenanny said:
Almost but not quite, i think you algerbraic skills are letting you down;

[tex]P = \frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta t} [/tex]

[tex]P\Delta t = \Delta Q[/tex]

[tex]\Delta t = \frac{\Delta Q}{P}[/tex]

Your theory is right, just the manipulation. A quick check to see if your manipulation is right is to take a look at the units.

So I need to do the calcualtions for each of these steps?

Yes I am having problems with solving for variables it just seems so complicated. Do you know of any good tutorials for this?

physicskillsme said:
So I need to do the calcualtions for each of these steps?

No, all you have done is re-arranged an equation, you can just plug your numbers in for P and [itex]\Delta Q[/itex](which you have calculated earlier).

physicskillsme said:
Do you know of any good tutorials for this?

I'm afraid I don't, but a quick internet search would probably show up a few. If you can get hold of a high school mathematics textbook, that would probably be best.

So this the solution?

The immersion heater in an electric hot water system is rated at 9 kW. If the tank is initially filled with 40 gallons (about 150 litres, with a mass of 150 kg) of cold water at 15 oC, how long will it take the heater to raise the temperature to 40 oC?

Q=CmdeltaT

deltaT=40-15 = 25

Q=4196*150*25

15735000J

delta t= delta q/p

1748.33 =15735000/9000

1748 seconds

Yep, that looks right to me

Related to Calculating Time for Immersion Heater to Raise Water Temperature

1. What is an immersion heater?

An immersion heater is a type of electric heating element that is commonly used to heat liquids, such as water, in various applications. It consists of a metal sheath that is filled with an electric heating element and is designed to be immersed in the liquid to be heated.

2. How does an immersion heater work?

When an immersion heater is connected to a power source, an electric current flows through the heating element, which converts the electrical energy into heat. The heat is then transferred to the liquid surrounding the heater, heating it up to the desired temperature.

3. What are some common problems with immersion heaters?

Some common problems with immersion heaters include burnout of the heating element, buildup of sediment or scale on the heating element, and corrosion of the metal sheath. These issues can lead to a decrease in heating efficiency or complete failure of the heater.

4. How can I troubleshoot immersion heater problems?

If you are experiencing issues with your immersion heater, the first step is to check the power supply and make sure it is connected properly. If the heater is receiving power, but not heating up, it is likely that the heating element has burned out and will need to be replaced. If there is a buildup of sediment or scale, the heater may need to be cleaned or replaced. If corrosion is the issue, the heater will need to be replaced.

5. How can I prevent immersion heater problems?

To prevent immersion heater problems, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain the heater. This includes checking for any signs of damage or wear, cleaning or replacing the heating element when necessary, and flushing the heater to remove any buildup of sediment or scale. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper installation and usage of the heater.