Calculating Time for Mass to Reach Velocity with Applied Force

In summary, there are two ways to find the time it takes for a mass to reach a velocity when a force is applied to it. One way is to use Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration, then integrate or apply kinematic equations to find the time. Another way is to use the "impulse-momentum" theorem. Both methods require knowledge of basic algebra.
Serj
I want to know how to find the time it takes for a mass to reach a velocity if a force is applied to it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One way is to apply Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration, then integrate--or apply kinematic equations--to find the time: [itex]v_f = v_i + a t[/itex].

Another (equivalent) way is to use the "impulse-momentum" theorem: [itex]F \Delta t = m \Delta v[/itex].

i'm terrible at math, can you isolate time on one side of the equation?

What equation are you using?

Vf=Vi + at

Serj said:
I want to know how to find the time it takes for a mass to reach a velocity if a force is applied to it.

Note that there is no mention of a constant force being applied here.

Zz.

Serj said:
Vf=Vi + at

[tex]t = \frac{v_f - v_i}{a}[/tex]

Make note of what ZapperZ said, though.

Serj said:
i'm terrible at math, can you isolate time on one side of the equation?
cscott has done this for you, but you won't get very far with physics if you don't first brush up on elementary algebra. I strongly recommend you learn the math first.

Related to Calculating Time for Mass to Reach Velocity with Applied Force

1. How is time for mass to reach velocity calculated?

The time for mass to reach velocity can be calculated using the formula t = mv/F, where t is time, m is mass, v is velocity, and F is the applied force.

2. What is the unit of time used in this calculation?

The unit of time used in this calculation is seconds (s).

3. Is there a specific method for determining the applied force?

The applied force can be determined using various methods, such as using a force sensor or measuring the force applied by a person or machine.

4. Can this calculation be used for any type of mass and velocity?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any type of mass and velocity, as long as the units are consistent (e.g. mass in kilograms, velocity in meters per second).

5. Are there any other factors that may affect the time for mass to reach velocity?

Yes, there may be other factors that can affect the time for mass to reach velocity, such as friction, air resistance, and the mass of the object being moved. These factors may need to be taken into account for a more accurate calculation.