Calculating Time for Object to Hit the Floor in a Pulley System

In summary, the question asks for the time it takes for a mass to hit the floor when released from rest in a system with given parameters. The solution involves calculating the tensions and torques in the system and using equations for motion to determine the time. There is also a discussion about the moment of inertia and how it affects the calculations.
Icetray
Hi guys,

I have this question below but I don't have the answer to it and I'm not sure if what I am doing is right. I attempted the solution by balancing the forces as I am not as clear on how to use the energy method yet.

Is my solution/answer correct? (:

Thanks guys!Homework Statement

Consider the system shown in Figure 10.42 with m1 = 20.0kg, m2 = 12.5kg, R(radius of pully)=0.2m and mass of uniform pulley M=5.00kg. Object m2 is resting on the floor and m1 is 4.00 meters above the floor when it is released from rest. The pully axis is frictionless. Calculate the time for m1 to hit the floor.

Relevant equations and attempt at solution
M1:
T[itex]_{1}[/itex] = m[itex]_{1}[/itex]g - m[itex]_{1}[/itex]a
T[itex]_{1}[/itex] = 196.2 - 20a

M2:
T[itex]_{2}[/itex] = m[itex]_{2}[/itex]g + m[itex]_{2}[/itex]a
T[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 122.625 + 12.5a

Pully:
T[itex]_{1}[/itex] - T[itex]_{2}[/itex] = I[itex]\alpha[/itex]
T[itex]_{1}[/itex] - T[itex]_{2}[/itex] = (0.5)(MR[itex]^{2}[/itex])(a/R)
T[itex]_{1}[/itex] - T[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 0.5(5.00)(2.00)a

Subbing in T[itex]_{1}[/itex] and T[itex]_{2}[/itex] I get a = 2.23m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex]

Then I use Xf = Xi + Ut +0.5at[itex]^{2}[/itex] to get t and get 1.89s

Is this right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that torque is F x L, where F is the applied force and L is the "lever arm" or radius vector to the center of rotation. So check your Pulley section to make sure that you're equating torques with torques.

gneill said:
Remember that torque is F x L, where F is the applied force and L is the "lever arm" or radius vector to the center of rotation. So check your Pulley section to make sure that you're equating torques with torques.

Thanks for your reply! (:

So:

Should be:
T[itex]_{1}[/itex]R - T[itex]_{2}[/itex]R = I[itex]\alpha[/itex]

Right? (:

Icetray said:
Thanks for your reply! (:

So:

Should be:
T[itex]_{1}[/itex]R - T[itex]_{2}[/itex]R = I[itex]\alpha[/itex]

Right? (:

Yup.

gneill said:
Yup.

Just one more question. If the cylinder was a hollow one I understand that:
I = (0.5)M(R[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] - R[itex]_{2}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex])

Does my [itex]\alpha[/itex] = a/(R[itex]_{1}[/itex] - R[itex]_{2}[/itex]) as well?

What about my [itex]\tau[/itex]? Does it become:
(R[itex]_{1}[/itex]-R[itex]_{2}[/itex])(T[itex]_{1}[/itex]- T[itex]_{2}[/itex]) as well?

Thanks! (:

You don't need to change anything but the moment of inertia unless the radius at which the torque is applied changes too.

The moment of inertia is the rotational analog of mass. In a linear system, if you had a hollow sphere (spherical shell) rather than a solid one you'd have to do something similar in order to calculate the mass of the object, but after that you'd just use the calculated mass and get on with things. :smile:

gneill said:
You don't need to change anything but the moment of inertia unless the radius at which the torque is applied changes too.

The moment of inertia is the rotational analog of mass. In a linear system, if you had a hollow sphere (spherical shell) rather than a solid one you'd have to do something similar in order to calculate the mass of the object, but after that you'd just use the calculated mass and get on with things. :smile:

So the radius I use for the calculation of [itex]\tau[/itex] and [itex]\alpha[/itex] will be that of the full radius (i.e. from att the way out to the centre) and the only thing is actually affects is the calculation of the inertia of the disk? :D

Icetray said:
So the radius I use for the calculation of [itex]\tau[/itex] and [itex]\alpha[/itex] will be that of the full radius (i.e. from att the way out to the centre) and the only thing is actually affects is the calculation of the inertia of the disk? :D

Yes. The torque calculation always involves the actual distance from the center of rotation to where the force is applied.

gneill said:
Yes. The torque calculation always involves the actual distance from the center of rotation to where the force is applied.

Thanks! You're a LIFESAVER! (:

FAQ: Calculating Time for Object to Hit the Floor in a Pulley System

1. How does the mass of a pulley affect its performance?

The mass of a pulley can affect its performance in several ways. A heavier pulley may require more force to move, but it can also provide more stability and reduce vibrations. On the other hand, a lighter pulley may be easier to move, but it may not be as durable or able to handle heavier loads.

2. How do different weights affect the tension in a pulley system?

The weight of the objects attached to a pulley can affect the tension in the system. As more weight is added, the tension in the rope or cable connected to the pulley will increase. This can have an impact on the overall performance and stability of the pulley system.

3. Can the mass of a pulley impact the efficiency of a pulley system?

Yes, the mass of a pulley can impact the efficiency of a pulley system. A heavier pulley may require more energy to rotate, resulting in a less efficient system. It is important to consider the mass of the pulley when designing a pulley system to ensure maximum efficiency.

4. How does the diameter of a pulley affect its mechanical advantage?

The diameter of a pulley can have a significant impact on its mechanical advantage. A larger pulley will have a greater mechanical advantage, meaning it can lift heavier objects with less force. However, a larger pulley may also be more difficult to rotate, requiring more effort to operate.

5. What are the factors that determine the ideal mass for a pulley?

The ideal mass for a pulley can depend on several factors. These may include the type of load being lifted, the desired efficiency of the pulley system, and the amount of force available to operate the pulley. It is important to consider these factors when determining the ideal mass for a pulley in a specific application.