Calculating Time for Overtaking in a Race

In summary, the problem involves two race cars, one with an acceleration of 5.9m/s^2 and the other with an acceleration of 4.1m/s^2. The second car starts 1.4 seconds before the first car. Using the formula x= 1/2at^2 + Vi(t), the time it takes for the first car to overtake the second car is 4.71 seconds. In solving the problem, the first car's time was incorrectly entered as 2.015 instead of the unknown t, and the second car's time was incorrectly entered as 0.615 instead of 1.4 seconds.
bigzee20

Homework Statement

A race car driver buys a car that can accelerate at 5.9m/s^2. The racer decides to race against another driver in a souped up stock car. Both start from rest, but the stock car driver leaves 1.4s before the driver of the sports car. The stock car moves with an acceleration of 4.1m/s^2. What is the time it takes the sports car driver to overtake the stock car driver.

i have tried solving it using the formula x= 1/2at+Vi(t) but i get 4.68s which is wrong what is it that iam not doing correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
bigzee20 said:
i have tried solving it using the formula x= 1/2at+Vi(t) but i get 4.68s which is wrong what is it that iam not doing correctly?

Hi bigzee20! :smile:

x= 1/2at2 + Vi(t) :redface:

Hey tiny-tim thanks for the reply

I used that formula on both cars then i divided their positions and that's how i got 4.68sec which is wrong. I don't know what iam doing wrong??

bigzee20 said:
I used that formula on both cars then i divided their positions and that's how i got 4.68sec which is wrong. I don't know what iam doing wrong??

ok … show us what you did, and then we can see where the mistake is. :smile:

Car a 1/2(5.9)(2.015)+0(2.015)= 5.94425
Car b 1/2(4.1(0.615)+0(0.615)=1.26075

Then 5.94425/1.26075 = 4.71sec

bigzee20 said:
Car a 1/2(5.9)(2.015)+0(2.015)= 5.94425
Car b 1/2(4.1(0.615)+0(0.615)=1.26075

Where did 2.015 and 0.615 come from?

What happened to t2?

And what happened to 1.4s? :confused:

For Car a what do i put in as time? i know car b is 1.4s?

Car a = 1/2 (5.9)(?)^2+0(?)
Car b = 1/2(4.1)1.4^2+0(1.4) = 4.018

Last edited:
bigzee20 said:
For Car a what do i put in as time? i know car b is 1.4s?

You put t as time.

t, in the formula, is the unknown!

t0 for car b is 1.4s

Iam confused man :confused:

can someone help me solve this?

Anybody?

FAQ: Calculating Time for Overtaking in a Race

What is time and how is it measured?

Time is a unit of measurement used to sequence events, and it is often defined as the fourth dimension. Time is measured using various units such as seconds, minutes, hours, days, and years.

What is acceleration and how does it relate to time?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. Acceleration is directly related to time, as it measures how quickly an object's velocity is changing as time passes.

How does acceleration affect the passage of time?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is relative and is affected by acceleration. This means that time can pass at different rates for observers in different states of motion. The faster an object is accelerating, the slower time will pass for that object.

Can time travel be achieved through acceleration?

While there are theories and concepts about time travel, it is not currently possible to travel through time using acceleration. The laws of physics, including the principles of time dilation, make it unlikely that time travel through acceleration will ever be possible.

How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is typically measured using a tool called an accelerometer, which can detect and measure changes in speed and direction of an object. Accelerometers are commonly used in vehicles and electronic devices to measure acceleration in terms of meters per second squared (m/s²).