Calculating Time for Subway Travel with Maximum Acceleration

• Thread starter jehan4141
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum possible time for a subway to travel between two stations, given a maximum acceleration of 0.1 m/s^2 and a distance of 0.7 km. The correct answer is determined to be 170 seconds, taking into account the need for the train to stop at both stations and have a velocity of zero at the start and end of the trip. One potential error in the calculation is identified and corrected, resulting in the correct solution.
jehan4141
You can find this problem with supplemental pics on page 6 at http://www.physics.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/ph101_2006/learning_guide_ph101_2006.pdf

Suppose that the maximum possible acceleration for passengers standing on a subway is 0.1 m/s^2 and that two subway stations are 0.7 km apart.

What is the minimum possible time taken between the two subways stations?

The answer is 170 seconds. I keep getting 118 seconds :(

My calculations are as follows:

x = (0.5)(acceleration)(time^2) where x = 700 meters and acceleration is 0.1

thus, sqrt(2x/acceleration) = time = 118

Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the train has to stop at both stations, so you need to impose the condition that the velocity at both stations is zero. Right now the velocity won't be zero at the next station.

jehan4141 said:
Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?
What must the speed be at the start and end of the trip?

They may be thinking that you accelerate fo half the distance, then decelerate for the remaining half.

Yes! Thank you so much everyone!

Related to Calculating Time for Subway Travel with Maximum Acceleration

1. Why can't I get the answer?

There could be several reasons why you are unable to get the answer to your question. It could be due to insufficient data, incorrect assumptions, or limitations in the tools or methods you are using.

2. What should I do if I can't get the answer?

If you are unable to get the answer to your question, you can try to gather more data or information, consult with other experts in the field, or reframe your question to make it more specific and answerable.

3. Can someone else help me get the answer?

Yes, you can seek the help of other scientists or experts in the field who may have more knowledge or experience in the subject matter. Collaborating with others can often lead to a better understanding and a more accurate answer.

4. Is there a specific method I should use to get the answer?

The method you use to find the answer will depend on the type of question you are trying to answer. However, in general, the scientific method involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments or collecting data, analyzing the results, and drawing a conclusion.

5. What should I do if I still can't get the answer after trying various methods?

If you have exhausted all possible methods and still cannot get the answer, it could be an indication that the question is not answerable with the current knowledge or technology. In such cases, it may be necessary to conduct further research or wait for new advancements in the field.