Calculating time until apoapsis analytically

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, for an elliptical orbit, the apoapsis is the furthest point from the focus of the orbit. It can be calculated using the formula r_A = a(1+e), where a is the semi-major axis and e is the eccentricity. The line passing through the two apsides is known as the Line of Apsides, and the segment between them is the Major Axis. The time until the smaller body reaches the apoapsis can be calculated by finding the eccentric anomaly, mean anomaly, mean motion, and change in mean anomaly.
Definition/Summary

The furthest point of an elliptical orbit from the focus of the orbit

Equations

[tex]r_A = a(1+e)[/tex]

where:
a is the semi-major axis
e is the eccentricity

Extended explanation

The apoapsis is one of two apsides that are located on the points where a line passing through the focus and bisecting the ellipse along its long dimension intersects the orbit.

The line passing through the two apsides is known as the Line of Apsides.

The segment of the line of apsides that lies between the apsides is the Major Axis of the orbit, and half of this is the Semi-major Axis (a).

For a Sun centered orbit, the apoapsis is called the aphelion and for an Earth centered orbit its is called the apogee. Each major body of the Solar system also has its own specifically named apoapsis.

* This entry is from our old Library feature. If you know who wrote it, please let us know so we can attribute a writer. Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Given general information about the current orbit (eccentricity, semi-major axis, apoapsis, etc), as well as positional information (position, velocity, true anomaly) I would like to calculate the time until the smaller body reaches the apoapsis of its orbit. This is a restricted two-body problem, in that the mass of the smaller body is negligibly small.

I have a suspicion that I can use the true anomaly somehow to calculate time between points. However, I cannot find a reference online for it, and I have no idea how to derive it.

I can calculate the orbital period, though, and I know that the orbit of anybody sweeps out the same amount of area each equal time interval. I could maybe find a formula to find the area of an arc on an ellipse, then divide that quantity by the total area, then multiply by the orbital period.

It's funny how simply writing out a post comprehensively helps you think better about how to solve a problem. That is probably not a possible way to derive it, though, so you guys tell me how anyway.

ellipsis said:
I have a suspicion that I can use the true anomaly somehow to calculate time between points.
Five easy steps:
  1. Calculate the eccentric anomaly [itex]E[/itex] from the true anomaly [itex]\theta[/itex] via
    [tex]\tan\frac E 2 \sqrt{\frac{1-e}{1+e}} \tan \frac \theta 2[/tex]
    Note that this will yield a value between -pi and pi if you use the standard definition of arc tangent.
  2. Calculate the mean anomaly [itex]M[/itex] from the eccentric anomaly [itex]E[/itex] via Kepler's equation,
    [tex]M = E - e\sin E[/tex]
  3. Calculate the change in mean anomaly [itex]\Delta M[/itex] from the calculated value of [itex]M[/itex] to that at apoapsis, which is [itex]\pi[/itex]:
    [tex]\Delta M = \pi - M[/tex]
  4. Calculate the mean motion [itex]m[/itex]:
    [tex]n = \sqrt{\frac{GM}{a^3}}[/tex]
  5. Calculate time to apoapsis:
    [tex]\Delta t = \frac{\Delta M}{n}[/tex]

Thank you so much... I will get to work on this immediately. (I am rather glad, since that derivation idea I had involved integration in polar coordinates, yuck)

Related to Calculating time until apoapsis analytically

1. How do you calculate the time until apoapsis analytically?

To calculate the time until apoapsis analytically, you will need to know the orbital parameters of the object, such as the semi-major axis, eccentricity, and true anomaly. Then, you can use Kepler's equation and the orbital period equation to determine the time until apoapsis.

2. What is the significance of calculating the time until apoapsis analytically?

Calculating the time until apoapsis analytically allows scientists to accurately predict the position and motion of an object in orbit. This information is crucial for space missions, satellite operations, and understanding the dynamics of the solar system.

3. Can the time until apoapsis be calculated for any object in orbit?

Yes, the time until apoapsis can be calculated for any object in orbit as long as the necessary orbital parameters are known. This includes natural satellites, artificial satellites, and even comets or asteroids.

4. How accurate is the analytical calculation of time until apoapsis?

The analytical calculation of time until apoapsis is considered to be very accurate as long as the orbital parameters are known with precision. However, factors such as gravitational perturbations from other objects and atmospheric drag can affect the actual time until apoapsis.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the time until apoapsis analytically?

One limitation of calculating the time until apoapsis analytically is that it assumes a two-body problem, meaning that only the gravitational influence of the central body is considered. In reality, there may be other forces at play, such as the gravitational pull of other objects or non-uniform mass distributions.