Calculating Tire Revolutions and Angular Speed in a Braking Car

In summary, the car initially traveling at 25.9 m/s undergoes a constant negative acceleration of 2.10 m/s2, coming to a stop after traveling a distance of 305.67 m in 12.3 seconds. The number of revolutions the tires make can be found by dividing the distance traveled by the circumference of the tires, which is 2.07 revolutions. The angular speed of the wheels when the car has traveled half the total distance is 19.1 rad/s.
balling12

Homework Statement

A car initially traveling at 25.9 m/s undergoes a constant negative acceleration of magnitude 2.10 m/s2 after its brakes are applied.
(a) How many revolutions does each tire make before the car comes to a stop, assuming the car does not skid and the tires have radii of 0.330 m? ... revs
(b) What is the angular speed of the wheels when the car has traveled half the total distance? .. rad/s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the kinematic equation to find the time it takes to come to a stop: 12.3 secs and the distance traveled: 305.67 m. I am unsure how to find the number of revolutions the tires make. However i worked out part B using the equation: W final^2=W initial^2+ 2(alpha)(Change in theta) and got the answer 19.1 rads but it is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
balling12 said:
I used the kinematic equation to find the time it takes to come to a stop: 12.3 secs and the distance traveled: 305.67 m.
Redo that last calculation. Hint: What's the average speed of the car as it comes to rest?
I am unsure how to find the number of revolutions the tires make.
Hint: What's the circumference of the tires?

Doc Al said:
Redo that last calculation. Hint: What's the average speed of the car as it comes to rest?
im not sure?

Hint: What's the circumference of the tires?
Circumference is pie x diameter right?

balling12 said:
Circumference is pie x diameter right?
Yes.

FAQ: Calculating Tire Revolutions and Angular Speed in a Braking Car

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around an axis or a center point. This type of motion can be seen in objects such as wheels, planets, and spinning tops.

2. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

Linear motion involves movement in a straight line, while rotational motion involves movement around a fixed point. In linear motion, the velocity and acceleration vectors are in the same direction, while in rotational motion, these vectors are perpendicular to each other.

3. How is rotational motion measured?

Rotational motion can be measured using angular displacement, which is the change in the angle of rotation over a specific time period. It can also be measured using angular velocity, which is the rate of change of angular displacement, and angular acceleration, which is the rate of change of angular velocity.

4. What are some real-life examples of rotational motion?

Some common examples of rotational motion include the spinning of a top, the rotation of a wheel on an axle, the orbiting of planets around the sun, and the spinning of a merry-go-round.

5. How can rotational motion problems be solved?

Rotational motion problems can be solved using equations and principles from rotational dynamics, such as torque, angular momentum, and moment of inertia. It is important to identify and draw a free-body diagram, apply the relevant equations, and use proper units and calculations to solve the problem.

Back