Calculating Tire Rotation in Radians and Revolutions - Homework Problem Solution

• Thread starter sowmit
  • Start date
In summary, the question is about determining the angle in radians that a tire on a new car will rotate, as well as the number of revolutions that are equivalent to that angle. The formula used is theta = s/r, where theta represents the angle, s represents the distance traveled, and r represents the radius. The solution involves converting the given distance of 60,000 miles to feet, and then multiplying it by 2π radians divided by 360 degrees to find the angle in radians. The answer given in the attempt is 5.0*10^6 radians, but the expected answer is 3.2*e^8 radians. Lastly, the conversation discusses finding the angular velocity (omega) of the tire, which is
sowmit
Please help me with this problem??

Homework Statement

The question is:

the tires on a new car have a diameter of 2.0 ft and are warranted for 60000 miles (3.2*e^9 ft).

(a) Determine the angle (in radians) through which one of the tires will rotate?

(b) How many revolutions are equivalent to ur answer in part a?>

Homework Equations

theta = s/r

The Attempt at a Solution

theta = (3.2*e^9 ft / 1.0 ft) * (2pi radian/ 360 degree) = 5.0* 10^6 radian, but the answer says 3.2*e^8 radians. How's that possible.

How do I find omega (revolution per second?)

Physics news on Phys.org

When the wheel has moved forward by one circumference, it has rotated by 2π radians.
How many circumferences can fit in 60,000 miles?

Why do you want to find omega?

To calculate the angle in radians, you need to divide the distance traveled by the radius of the tire. In this case, the distance traveled is given as 3.2*10^9 feet and the radius is 1 foot. Plugging these values into the equation theta = s/r, we get theta = (3.2*10^9 feet / 1 foot) = 3.2*10^9 radians. This is equivalent to the answer given in the problem.

To find the number of revolutions, we need to divide the angle (in radians) by 2pi. So, the number of revolutions is (3.2*10^9 radians / 2pi) = 5.09*10^8 revolutions. This is equivalent to the answer given in the problem.

To find the angular velocity (omega), we can use the formula omega = v/r, where v is the linear velocity and r is the radius. In this case, the linear velocity is given as 3.2*10^9 feet per 60000 miles, which is equivalent to 3.2*10^9 feet per (60000 miles * 5280 feet) = 0.0108 feet per second. Plugging this value into the formula, we get omega = (0.0108 feet per second) / (1 foot) = 0.0108 radians per second.

I hope this helps with your problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Calculating Tire Rotation in Radians and Revolutions - Homework Problem Solution

1. What should I do if I cannot solve the problem on my own?

If you are struggling to solve a problem on your own, the first step is to seek help from someone else. This could be a teacher, colleague, or tutor who has experience and knowledge on the subject matter. You can also try looking for resources online or in textbooks that may provide additional guidance.

2. How do I approach a difficult problem?

The best way to approach a difficult problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Start by identifying the key concepts and variables involved in the problem, then try to understand how they are related. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or make lists to visually organize the information. Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help if you are still struggling.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving skills can be improved with practice and persistence. One way to improve is to regularly challenge yourself with new and complex problems. Additionally, try to approach problems from different angles and utilize different problem-solving strategies. Seeking feedback and actively learning from mistakes can also help improve problem-solving skills.

4. What should I do if I am running out of time to solve the problem?

If you are running out of time to solve a problem, try to focus on the most important parts of the problem and prioritize your steps. Don't get caught up in details or spend too much time on one specific aspect. If you are still struggling, consider asking for an extension or seeking help from a classmate or teacher.

5. How can I prevent getting stuck on a problem in the future?

To prevent getting stuck on a problem in the future, it can be helpful to regularly practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills. This can include practicing with different types of problems, seeking feedback, and actively learning from mistakes. It can also be beneficial to develop a list of problem-solving strategies that have worked for you in the past and refer to them when facing new challenges.