Calculating Torque: Angular Moment of Inertia, CoF & Shaft Dia

• Thread starter mawais15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, to calculate the amount of torque required to give a rectangular piece of marble an angular velocity of pi radians/second, you will need to use the formula τ = Iα, where τ is torque, I is the angular moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. To incorporate the bearing friction, simply subtract it from the applied torque.
mawais15
Calculating Torque??

i wonder how would i calculate the amount of torque required to give a rectangular piece of marble, an angular velocity of pi radians/second given the angular moment of inertia of that slab.

The bearing supports holds a coefficient of friction of 0.2 and the shaft diameter is 20mm. the angular moment of inertia of the slab about the rotation axis is 200 kg-m2. The distance between supports is 1 meter and the slab is in the center of the shaft.

Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi mawais15! :smile:
mawais15 said:
i wonder how would i calculate the amount of torque required to give a rectangular piece of marble, an angular velocity of pi radians/second given the angular moment of inertia of that slab.

torque gives you angular acceleration (τ = Iα), not angular velocity …

once you find the angular acceleration, you can get the angular velocity using the standard constant acceleration equations :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi mawais15! :smile:

torque gives you angular acceleration (τ = Iα), not angular velocity …

once you find the angular acceleration, you can get the angular velocity using the standard constant acceleration equations :wink:

how about incorporating the bearing friction to maintain the desired angular velocity?

the friction with the bearings is a torque also, so you just subtract it from the applied torque

but i the question is that how much torque do i have to apply..

FAQ: Calculating Torque: Angular Moment of Inertia, CoF & Shaft Dia

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. It is typically represented by the symbol "τ" and is measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

What is angular moment of inertia?

Angular moment of inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is denoted by the symbol "I" and is measured in units of kilogram-square meters (kg·m²) or pound-square feet (lb·ft²).

What is coefficient of friction (CoF)?

Coefficient of friction (CoF) is a dimensionless value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is typically denoted by the symbol "μ" and can range from 0 (no friction) to 1 (maximum friction).

How do you calculate torque?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. In equation form, it is represented as τ = F x r, where τ is torque, F is force, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

How do you calculate angular moment of inertia?

Angular moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass. For more complex shapes, there are specific equations and tables that can be used to calculate moment of inertia.

Back