Calculating Torque for a Particle in an xy Plane

The correct answer is 10.5 Nm.In summary, a particle moves clockwise in the xy plane around the origin, with a torque of 10.5 Nm acting on it at t = 2.1 s due to its angular momentum of 2.5t^2 kg·m^2/s^3.
pippi1500

Homework Statement

A particle is to move in an xy plane, clockwise around the origin as seen from the positive side of the z axis. In unit-vector notation, what torque acts on the particle at time t = 2.1 s if the magnitude of its angular momentum about the origin is 2.5t2 kg·m2/s3

Homework Equations

torque = dL/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried taking the derivative of 2.5*t2 and then I inserted t.

2*2.5*2.1 = 10.5 but this is not the correct answer and I'm not sure why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you put in just the number alone or the number with the unit vector?

Related to Calculating Torque for a Particle in an xy Plane

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate about an axis. It is the product of the force applied to an object and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque related to momentum and time?

Torque is directly proportional to both momentum and time. This means that as torque increases, so does the object's momentum and the time it takes to achieve a certain amount of rotation.

3. What is the formula for calculating torque with momentum and time?

The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This can also be written as T = I x α, where I is the moment of inertia and α is the angular acceleration.

4. How does torque affect rotational motion?

Torque is responsible for causing rotational motion in an object. When a torque is applied to an object, it causes the object to rotate about an axis. The magnitude of the torque determines the speed and direction of the rotation.

5. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. A negative torque indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the rotation, which can cause the object to slow down or even rotate in the opposite direction.