Calculating Torque to Move Object

• Thread starter gearhead
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation discusses the specifications of a bicycle with 26 inch diameter wheels and a weight of 200 pounds (including the rider). The question posed is how much torque would be needed for the bicycle to maintain a constant speed of 20mph, assuming no air resistance. The person responding also asks if there are any other forms of rolling resistance to consider and mentions that they cannot solve homework questions.
gearhead
I have a bicycle with 26 inch diameter wheels that weighs 200 pounds with the rider on it. the bicycle has two wheels. How much torque would this bicycle need to maintain a constant speed of 20mph? Assuming no air resistance?

Physics news on Phys.org
gearhead said:
I have a bicycle with 26 inch diameter wheels that weighs 200 pounds with the rider on it. the bicycle has two wheels. How much torque would this bicycle need to maintain a constant speed of 20mph? Assuming no air resistance?

What do you think? Is there any other form of rolling resistance to be overcome by this torque?

Is this homework/coursework? If so, I can move this thread to the Homework Help forums. In any case, we don't solve homework-type questions here on the PF. Show us your thoughts and calculations, and we can provide some hints and tutorial help.

To calculate the torque needed to maintain a constant speed of 20mph on the bicycle, we need to consider the rotational motion of the wheels. The torque required is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of the wheels and the moment of inertia of the wheels and rider system.

First, we need to calculate the moment of inertia of the system. This can be done using the formula I = m*r^2, where m is the mass of the system (200 pounds or 90.7 kg) and r is the radius of the wheels (13 inches or 0.33 meters).

I = (90.7 kg)*(0.33 m)^2 = 9.46 kg*m^2

Next, we need to convert the speed of 20mph to meters per second (m/s) for the angular acceleration calculation. 20mph is equivalent to 8.94 m/s.

Now, we can use the formula torque = I*angular acceleration to calculate the torque needed.

torque = (9.46 kg*m^2)*(8.94 m/s^2) = 84.6 N*m

Therefore, the bicycle would need a torque of 84.6 N*m to maintain a constant speed of 20mph, assuming no air resistance. This torque can be achieved by pedaling with a certain force at a specific distance from the center of the wheels, or by using gears to increase the torque output of the rider.

Related to Calculating Torque to Move Object

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is usually measured in units of newton-meters (N*m).

How do you calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force applied to the object and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is torque = force * distance.

What is the unit for torque?

The unit for torque is newton-meters (N*m). This unit is derived from the units of force (newtons) and distance (meters) used in the calculation.

Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. This happens when the direction of the force applied is opposite to the direction of rotation. In this case, the torque is considered to be in the opposite direction of the rotation.

How does torque affect the movement of an object?

Torque affects the movement of an object by causing it to rotate around an axis. The greater the torque, the faster the object will rotate. If the torque is large enough, it can overcome the inertia of the object and cause it to move in a linear direction.