Calculating Total Force on Earth from Venus, Jupiter, and Saturn

• Thread starter ObviousManiac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the total force on the Earth due to the gravitational pull of Venus, Jupiter, and Saturn, assuming they are all in a line. The masses and distances of the planets are given, and the equation used is F = Gm1m2/r^2. The distance between each planet and the Earth is calculated by subtracting their distance from the Sun. The final answer is found to be 9.03×10^17 N.
ObviousManiac

Homework Statement

Calculate the total force on the Earth due to Venus, Jupiter and Saturn, assuming all four planets are in a line (see figure).
An amateur astronomer measures the masses to be MV = 0.888 ME, MJ = 324 ME, MS = 98.0 ME, and their distances from the Sun are 1.080×10^8 km, 1.500×10^8 km, 7.780×10^8 km and 1.430×10^9 km respectively.
The mass of the Earth ME is 5.980×10^24 kg and the distance from the Earth to the sun is 1.500×10^8 km. The mass of the sun is 1.99×10^30 kg.

Homework Equations

F = Gm1 m2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is how to calculate the distance from each planet to earth. Like, if both Earth and Jupiter are 1.500x10^8 km from the sun, how far apart are they?

Physics news on Phys.org
so you've got five points on a line

Sun Venus Earth Jupiter Saturn

you know the distance from the Sun to each of these points

From that you can know the distance between two of the points by subtracting the shorter distance from the longer one. For instance: the distance between Jupiter and Saturn would be found to be the distance from the Sun to Saturn minus the distance from Jupiter to Saturn.

You might be able to see it more clearly if you draw out a picture of the situation. Don't worry about making it to scale.

Okay, so:

Distance from Earth to corresponding planet:

Venus = 1.500×108 km - 1.080×108 km = 42,000,000 km = 4.2E10 m

Jupiter = 7.780×108 km - 1.500×108 km = 628,000,000 km = 6.28E11 m

Saturn = 1.430×109 km - 1.500×108 km = 1,280,000,000 km = 1.28E12 m

F = GME[(.888ME/(4.2E102) + (324ME/(6.28E112) + (98ME/(1.28E122)]

F = GME[(3010.3 + 4912.8 + 357.7)

F = GME(8280.8) = 3.3E18 N

...but I still get the answer wrong. Any help? Would the force from Venus be negative because it's in a different direction than Jupiter and Saturn?

haha answered my own question there - I set the (3010.3) to be negative and that gave me the right answer. Thanks for the help!

btw for anyone wondering the correct answer is 9.03×10^17 N

Related to Calculating Total Force on Earth from Venus, Jupiter, and Saturn

1. What is the total force on Earth?

The total force on Earth is the sum of all the forces acting on the planet at any given time. This includes the force of gravity, which is the main force that keeps objects on Earth's surface, as well as other forces such as electromagnetic, nuclear, and frictional forces.

2. How is the total force on Earth calculated?

The total force on Earth is calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration. The mass of Earth and the acceleration due to gravity are used to calculate the force of gravity, while other forces are calculated using their respective equations.

3. Does the total force on Earth change over time?

Yes, the total force on Earth can change over time due to various factors such as changes in the mass distribution on Earth's surface, changes in Earth's rotation, and external forces such as the gravitational pull of other planets or asteroids.

4. What is the impact of the total force on Earth?

The total force on Earth has a significant impact on the planet's physical processes, such as the movement of tectonic plates, the circulation of ocean currents, and the weather patterns. It also plays a crucial role in sustaining life on Earth by keeping the atmosphere in place and providing necessary conditions for organisms to thrive.

5. How does the total force on Earth compare to other planets?

The total force on Earth is relatively small compared to other planets in our solar system. For example, Jupiter has a much larger mass and gravity, resulting in a significantly higher total force. However, each planet's total force is unique and contributes to its own distinct characteristics and features.