Calculating Total Harmonic Distortion: Is My Result Accurate?

• Thread starter Morgz129
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Harmonic
In summary, the THD is estimated to be higher than it actually is due to the fact that the sample size is not a multiple of the main signal period.
Morgz129
Homework Statement
estimate the total harmonic distortion in the current waveform using the formula below
Relevant Equations
see attached pdf
i have started by taking the rms values of the results from the spreadsheet making:

I1= 2.818 amps
I3=2.095 amps
I5=1.767 amps

i then added I3 and I5 to give me 3.863 amps which i then input into the formula to yield a result of 135.202% which seems way off to me, any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• EEP TMA 3 q3i.xlsx
    99 KB · Views: 230
  • tma 3 q 3.docx
    163.2 KB · Views: 222
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Morgz129 said:
i have started by taking the rms values of the results from the spreadsheet making:
I1= 2.818 amps
I3=2.095 amps
I5=1.767 amps
I can't see these come out: how did you do that ?
And: why do you call them like that when they are at 50, 250 and 350 Hz ?

Morgz129 said:
i then added I3 and I5 to give me 3.863 amps which i then input into the formula

well, the formula does not have ##(\sum I)^2\ ## but ##\sum (I^2)\ ##

I'm pretty sure the THD is huge when I look at the signal (did you ? It looks horrible ! ) ,
but not 135.202%.

Several remarks & 1 question :

So the whole sample represents 57 ms --- not a nice multiple of the main signal period of 20 ms which means the Fourier peaks are smeared out

THD is approximate, there is no justification for 6 digit accuracy

Looking at the sample one would expect a 300 Hz peak, but it gets split up in a 250 and a 350 Hz peak. My trigonometric math is rusty, but I suspect it's because of a multiplication

Because I like the subject, I played around a bit more and found a much lower THD than you did.

With a bit of handwork the sample in column B can be reconstructed almost exactly by adjusting ##a, b, c## in ##\ \ a\sin(2\pi\, 50t) + b\sin(2\pi\, 250t) + c\sin(2\pi\, 350t) ##

This bypasses the distortion from extending the 1024 point sample as if it were exactly one period of the original signal, which is clearly is not (it jumps from ##-##53 to 0 when going from 1023 to 0 again)

I don't want to hijack your exercise, but the amplitude ratios I found that way are nowhere near your I1 : I2 : I3
##\ ##

Oh, and in the preceding post forget my remark on trig multiplication.

Hi BVU thanks for the reply, i came to those figures as the current in the graph is measured in i2.. so i took the square root of the current and then multiplied by √2 to give the rms value required in the question.

right i have just had another go and get a totally different figure:
I1= √15.8 = 3.97.. this is a peak value so multiply by 0.707 to get rms value of 2.8Amps
In = √8.7+6.3= 3.87 .. multiply by 0.707 = 2.73Amps

using the given formula: 1/2.8 * (2.73) =0.975 multiply by 100 = 97.5%

Is that looking better?

Hi could anyone please confirm I have this somewhere near as i am unsure on any other way of working it out? Thanks

I get that too. So I suppose that's what you should hand in.

Now, this is where the interesting part begins for me:

Your signal in column B is equal to $$\ \ 32.528\sin(2\pi\, 50t)
-19.5132\sin(2\pi\, 250t) + 11.709\sin(2\pi\, 350t) $$

Amplitude ratios are 1, 0.6, 0.36 which in the formula yields THD 70.0 %.

So -- due to the mismatch between signal period and sample size the peaks smear out and the THD estimate is 40% higher. A considerable effect, some of which may be recovered by taking the area of the peaks instead of the height.
As I said, interesting.
:smile:

yeah its definitely a contentious question, interesting, thankyou for your help BVU

Likes BvU

FAQ: Calculating Total Harmonic Distortion: Is My Result Accurate?

1. What is total harmonic distortion (THD)?

Total harmonic distortion refers to the measurement of the amount of distortion in an electrical signal caused by the presence of harmonics, which are multiples of the fundamental frequency. It is expressed as a percentage and is commonly used to evaluate the quality of audio and power systems.

2. How is THD calculated?

THD is calculated by dividing the root mean square (RMS) value of all harmonic components in a signal by the RMS value of the fundamental frequency. The resulting value is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage.

3. What causes THD?

THD is primarily caused by non-linear elements in a system, such as amplifiers or transformers, which produce harmonics as a byproduct of their operation. Poorly designed or faulty equipment can also contribute to higher levels of THD.

4. What are the effects of high THD?

High levels of THD can result in distorted or poor quality sound in audio systems, and can also cause overheating and damage to electrical equipment. In power systems, high THD can lead to energy inefficiency and increased operating costs.

5. How can THD be reduced?

THD can be reduced by using high-quality equipment with low levels of distortion, implementing filters to remove harmonics, and properly maintaining and grounding electrical systems. Regular testing and monitoring can also help identify and address any issues with THD.