Calculating Total Thrust Force in Cartesian Components

In summary: This new angle is then used to calculate the force components in the x and y directions. In summary, the total thrust force on the boat can be calculated using spherical coordinates and trigonometric functions. After the driveshaft is bent, the angle of the thrust force must be recalculated using the tangent function.
ricky_fusion
Hi, My name Ricky, Indonesia. I am newber in this section. So, I am sorry if my question might be wrong location.

Homework Statement

* The thrust F of each propeller is 1000 lb.
* The thrust directions are described by the angles
α = 10°
β = 5°
γ = 20°
For more detail you can see in : https://ecourses.ou.edu/cgi-bin/ebook.cgi?doc=&topic=st&chap_sec=02.3&page=case_intro

Ask : What is the total thrust (force) on the boat in Cartesian components after the driveshaft was bent?

Homework Equations

Fx = F sinφ cosθ
Fy = F sinφ sinθ
Fz = F cosφ

The Attempt at a Solution

https://ecourses.ou.edu/cgi-bin/ebook.cgi?doc=&topic=st&chap_sec=02.3&page=case_sol

For Normal Force :
F1x = F sinφ1 cosθ1
= 1000 sin90 cos175 = -996.2 lb
F1y = F sinφ1 sinθ1
= 1000 sin90 sin175 = 87.2 lb
F1z = F cosφ1
= 1000 cos90 = 0 lb

Vector F1 can be written in Cartesian notation as

F1 =-996.2i + 87.2j + 0k lb

For Bent Force :
φ' = tan^-1 (tan α cos γ) = 9.41 degree
φ = 90 - φ' = 80.59 degree

θ2 = 200
φ2 = 80.59

F2x = F sinφ2 cosθ2 = -927.0 lb
F2y = F sinφ2 sinθ2 = -337.4 lb
F2z = F cosφ2 = 163.5 lb

Vector F2 can be written in Cartesian notation as

F2 =-927.0i - 337.4j + 163.5k lb

For Total Force :
FT = F1 + F2

= -1923.2i - 250.2j + 163.5k

My question are : (For Bent Force)
1. What is the basic concept to change the degree?
2. Why is the equation/formula should be spherical not just Fx = cos α?

Physics news on Phys.org
3. Why we should use tan^-1 (tan α cos γ)?Thanks for your response. 1. The basic concept to change the degree is to use the trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine and tangent. These functions can be used to calculate the angles of a triangle, which is necessary in this case to determine the angle of the thrust force. 2. The equation uses spherical coordinates because it is necessary to calculate the three-dimensional components of the thrust force. By using spherical coordinates, it is possible to calculate the force components in the x, y and z directions. 3. The equation uses tan^-1 (tan α cos γ) to calculate the angle of the thrust force after the driveshaft has been bent. This equation uses the tangent of the original angle (α) and the cosine of the bent angle (γ) to calculate the new angle (φ').

Hi Ricky, welcome to the section! Your question is in the right location and I am happy to help you with it. The basic concept to change the degree is to use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions help us to calculate the magnitude and direction of a vector in Cartesian coordinates. The reason why we use the spherical form of the equation is because it allows us to calculate the thrust force in all three dimensions (x, y, and z). Simply using Fx = cos α would only give us the force in the x-direction and not account for the forces in the y and z directions. Using the spherical form of the equation allows us to calculate the total thrust force in all three dimensions. I hope this helps clarify your questions. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Calculating Total Thrust Force in Cartesian Components

What is the formula for calculating total thrust force in Cartesian components?

The formula for calculating total thrust force in Cartesian components is Ftotal = √(Fx2 + Fy2 + Fz2), where Fx, Fy, and Fz represent the individual thrust forces in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

What is the difference between thrust force and net force?

Thrust force refers to the force generated by a propulsion system, while net force refers to the overall force acting on an object. In the context of calculating total thrust force in Cartesian components, thrust force refers to the individual forces in each direction, while net force refers to the total force acting on an object in all directions combined.

How do I determine the direction of the thrust force in Cartesian components?

The direction of the thrust force in Cartesian components is determined by the orientation of the propulsion system. For example, if the propulsion system is oriented along the x-axis, the thrust force in the x-direction will be positive, and the thrust force in the y and z directions will be zero.

Can I use this formula to calculate total thrust force in non-Cartesian coordinate systems?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating total thrust force in Cartesian coordinate systems. For non-Cartesian coordinate systems, different formulas or methods may be needed to calculate the total thrust force.

What factors can affect the accuracy of total thrust force calculations?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of total thrust force calculations include measurement errors, external forces acting on the object, and variations in the thrust force over time. It is important to carefully consider and account for these factors when using this formula to calculate total thrust force.