Calculating Train Speed: Grade 11 Physics Homework Solution | Stuck Again?

In summary, Gaurav was standing 200m from the front of the train when it began to accelerate uniformly from rest. He noticed that the front of the train was moving at 8.00m/s when it passed him. How fast would the back of the train be going when it passed Gaurav? The back of the train would be going at 8.16m/s when it passed him.
physics_newb

Homework Statement

A train is 120m long. Gaurav was standing 200m from the front of the train when it began to accelerate uniformly from rest. He noticed that the front of the train was moving at 8.00m/s when it passed him. How fast would the back of the train be going when it passed Gaurav?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Distance from front=200m
v1=0.00m/s
v2=8.00m/s
Step 1
a=?
V2^2= v1^2 + 2ad
a= (((V2^2-v1^2 ))/2)/d
a=(((8^2-0^2 ))/2)/200
a=(64/2)/200
a=32/200
a=0.16m/s/s
Step 2
t=?
t=v2/a
t=8/0.16
t=50s

after that last part I am completely lost...

Physics news on Phys.org
forgot to include equations :
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7408/captureie.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job on that acceleration!
I suggest you just use the same 2ad equation again, applying it to the whole 200+120 meters. Since you know the acceleration now, you can use the formula to find the final velocity.

It would be interesting to apply the formula to the 120 m distance only and see if you get the same answer.

LOL sorry about this but I'm kinda confused on what your asking me to do. What I don't get is to get the final speed I would need to know the amount of time it took to for the train to get 320m or I would need to know the speed of the train at 320m...Thanks in advance

The speed of the train is v2 in
v2² = v1² +2*a*d and you know all the variables on the right side.

Ohh...Thanks...I'm going to try it again and post the fixed solution

ok i did it but I think something might be wrong...I don't believe that the speed has only increased by that much after 120m
Distance from front=200m
v1=0.00m/s
v2=8.00m/s
Step 1
a=?
v2^2= v1^2 + 2ad
a= (((V2^2-v1^2 ))/2)/d
a=(((8^2-0^2 ))/2)/200
a=(64/2)/200
a=32/200
a=0.16m/s/s
Step 2
v2^2= v1^2 + 2ad
v2^2= 0^2 + 2*0.16*320
v2^2= 102.4
v2=√102.4
v2=10.11m/s/s

Your physical intuition may well fail here. You may think the Δv would be about 1.5 times as much in 320 m as it was in 200 m, but when you think this way you are using v = a*d. In fact it is v = a*t and the time for the extra 120 m is much less than half the time for the 200 m because the train is moving faster.

Oh, so does that mean the answer was right? Sorry for the stupid questions...I'm doing these half asleep

yes, looks good!

Related to Calculating Train Speed: Grade 11 Physics Homework Solution | Stuck Again?

1. What is "Stuck Again Grade 11 physics"?

"Stuck Again Grade 11 physics" is a common phrase used by students to describe the difficulty they face while trying to understand and solve physics problems at the 11th grade level. It refers to the feeling of being stuck or unable to progress in their understanding of physics concepts or equations.

2. What are some common topics covered in Grade 11 physics?

Some common topics covered in Grade 11 physics include motion and forces, energy and work, waves and sound, electricity and magnetism, and optics. These topics build upon the basics learned in earlier grades and provide a foundation for more advanced physics concepts in higher grades.

3. How can I improve my understanding of Grade 11 physics?

To improve your understanding of Grade 11 physics, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from your teacher or classmates when needed. You can also use online resources, such as videos and interactive simulations, to supplement your learning. It is also helpful to try and make connections between different concepts and apply them to real-world situations.

4. What are some common challenges students face in Grade 11 physics?

One of the common challenges students face in Grade 11 physics is the use of complex mathematical equations and formulas. This can be overwhelming for students who may not have a strong foundation in math. Another challenge is understanding abstract concepts, such as relativity or quantum mechanics, that may be introduced in the curriculum.

5. How can I prepare for exams in Grade 11 physics?

To prepare for exams in Grade 11 physics, it is important to review your notes regularly and practice solving different types of problems. Make sure to understand the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas. You can also try solving past exam papers or practice quizzes to test your knowledge and identify areas that need improvement.