Calculating Transformer Input Voltage

In summary, the author attempts to solve a homework problem involving transforming an input voltage from one circuit into another, but is unsure of how to proceed due to the lack of information given about the value of the fictitious Xm variable. Based on the details provided, it seems that another equivalent may have been used which simplified the calculation.
MechEngJordan

Homework Statement

Calculate the primary current, and hence the voltage at the transformer input winding, V1.

Transformation ratio, a = N1/N2 = 0.1
R1 = 0.12 Ω; R2 = 12 Ω
X1 = 0.4 Ω ; X2 = 40 Ω
RC = 560 Ω
V2 = 2300 V
RL = 1 kΩ
'Xm = 800 Ω'

Homework Equations

R1eq = R1 + a2R2
X1eq = j(X1 + a2X2)
V2' = aV2

Current divider equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Approximate equivalent circuit:

Screenshot (206).png

R1eq = 0.12 + (0.1)2(12)
R1eq = 0.24 ΩX1eq = j(0.4 + (0.1)2(40))
X1eq =j0.8 Ω

V2' = 0.1(2300)
V2' = 230 V

a2ZL = (0.1)2(1000)
a2ZL = 10 Ω

Ip = V2'/a2ZL
Ip = 23 AFrom here is where I believed that there is likely a more efficient way to solve the problem -- particularly because the value of Xm was not actually given in the paper, but told to us during the tutorial, more-or-less made up on the spot.

Here is the outline of the given solution:

Ip= I1*Z2/(Z1+Z2)

⇒I1 = Ip*(Z1+Z2)/Z2

⇒I1 = 23*(Rc // Xm + X1eq + R1eq + a2ZL)/ (Rc // Xm)I0 = I1 - Ip

∴ V1 = I0(Rc // Xm)

I'd be thankful for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
MechEngJordan said:
From here is where I believed that there is likely a more efficient way to solve the problem

It seems that in the given solution another equivalent is used (T-equivalent) than the one in #1. It's hard to explain what happens in that other equivalent because I cannot see what is meant by Z1 and Z2.

Don't you like to calculate with complex numbers? I don't know if you find complex calculations "more efficient", but they will be more structured. Example:

Z0 = (Rc || jXm) = (560 || j800) = (375.8 + j263). That's it.

In the same way you calculate other impedances, that can be used in Kirchhoffs laws, etc.

It becomes simple as in the given solution: Ip= I1*Z2/(Z1+Z2). As for the numerical calculation I assume a calculator can do the job for you.

Hesch said:
It seems that in the given solution another equivalent is used (T-equivalent) than the one in #1. It's hard to explain what happens in that other equivalent because I cannot see what is meant by Z1 and Z2.

Don't you like to calculate with complex numbers? I don't know if you find complex calculations "more efficient", but they will be more structured. Example:

Z0 = (Rc || jXm) = (560 || j800) = (375.8 + j263). That's it.

In the same way you calculate other impedances, that can be used in Kirchhoffs laws, etc.

It becomes simple as in the given solution: Ip= I1*Z2/(Z1+Z2). As for the numerical calculation I assume a calculator can do the job for you.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I should have probably clarified that in this case,

Z1 = Rc // Xm

and

Z2 = X1eq + R1eq + a2ZL

I have no issues with complex numbers or the numerical computations; I suppose what I was referring to by 'efficient' was that in the original question, there was no value of Xm given (this was only given during the tutorial and seemed to be done off the cuff). This gave me the impression that the solution to this problem should have been different than the one given. Also, this was a 5-mark question and relative to other 5 mark questions, the given approach seemed like a lot of work.

Related to Calculating Transformer Input Voltage

1) What is the formula for calculating transformer input voltage?

The formula for calculating transformer input voltage is Vp = VsNp/Ns, where Vp is the primary voltage, Vs is the secondary voltage, Np is the number of turns in the primary coil, and Ns is the number of turns in the secondary coil.

2) How do I determine the primary voltage of a transformer?

You can determine the primary voltage of a transformer by using the formula Vp = VsNp/Ns, where Vs is the secondary voltage, Np is the number of turns in the primary coil, and Ns is the number of turns in the secondary coil. You will need to know the secondary voltage and the number of turns in both the primary and secondary coils.

3) What factors affect the input voltage of a transformer?

The input voltage of a transformer can be affected by factors such as the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils, the type of core material used, and the frequency of the input voltage. Additionally, the transformer's design and construction can also impact the input voltage.

4) Can I use a transformer to increase input voltage?

Yes, a transformer can be used to increase input voltage. This is achieved by having more turns in the secondary coil than in the primary coil. The formula Vp = VsNp/Ns shows that as the number of turns in the secondary coil increases, the input voltage will also increase.

5) Why is it important to calculate the input voltage of a transformer?

Calculating the input voltage of a transformer is important because it allows you to determine the appropriate primary voltage needed for the desired secondary voltage. This ensures that the transformer will function properly and efficiently without any potential damage or failure due to incorrect input voltage.