Calculating Uncertainties of Measured quantities (Physics)

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the volume of a cone with the base at 2.53 cm and the height at 1.753 cm. The attempt at a solution yields 10.32 cm with an uncertainty of +/- .2 cm.
Joystar77

Homework Statement

d1 = 2.53 cm +/- .05 cm

d2 = 1.753 m +/- .001 m

0 = 23.5 degrees +/- .5 degrees

v1 = 1.55 m/s +/- .15 m/s

Using the measured quantities above, calculate the following. Express the uncertainty calculated value.

Homework Equations

d3 = 4 ( d1 + d2)

The Attempt at a Solution

d3 = 4 (2.53 cm +/- .05 cm) + (1.753 m +/- .001 m)

d3 = 10.12 +/- .2 cm + 7.012 m +/- .004 m

d3 = 10.32 cm + 7.016 m

I don't understand this problem so I would appreciate some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Joystar77 said:
d3 = 10.32 cm + 7.016 m
How did you get that?

Try to convert both numbers to the same unit, either cm or m.

Do you know how to combine uncertainties from multiple sources? This is certainly something you had in class and it is written in your textbook, too.

Is there an equation involved in this problem? Like what do d1, d2, 0, v all have in common?

iRaid said:
Is there an equation involved in this problem? Like what do d1, d2, 0, v all have in common?

You have to add your errors in quadrature.

d3 = 4 ( d1 + d2)

σd32 = σd12 + σd22

You need to perform the calculation with just the values, and then calculate the error giving your answer in the form
d3 +/- σd3

ETA oops, you're not the question asker.

Last edited:
response to uncertainties

My textbook isn't very good and doesn't give an explanation about combining uncertainties. As for in class, my instructor doesn't explain the steps and there aren't any example given about the uncertainties. All it mentions is the definition of an uncertainty and the basic rules for uncertainties. I still don't understand how to do the problem.

mfb said:
How did you get that?

Do you know how to combine uncertainties from multiple sources? This is certainly something you had in class and it is written in your textbook, too.

I added the numbers together and that is how I got it. I don't know how to convert to centimeters or meters. No, I don't know how to combine uncertainties from multiple sources.

mfb said:
How did you get that?

In response to your question, I am not sure what they have in common. I don't understand how to do the problem and this is how come I am asking for help.

iRaid said:

All it mentions is the definition of an uncertainty and the basic rules for uncertainties.
Good, you'll just need the most basic rule.
I added the numbers together and that is how I got it.
How old is the captain?
I don't know how to convert to centimeters or meters.
Then you can look that up.

Likes 1 person
The following error propagation (sample calculations) consists of the ‘simple’ methods
outlined in lab appendix (pages A7-A9). This method yields uncertainties which are
slightly high, but still gives ‘reasonably good values’.

For added/subtracted quantities, the uncertainties are obtained (propagated) by simply
adding the absolute uncertainties (i.e., they are not added in quadrature).

• Write correct significant figures based on the final uncertainty.

For multiplied/divided quantities, the uncertainties are obtained by 1) converted to
percent uncertainties (i.e., fractional uncertainties), and 2) the percent uncertainties are
simply added (i.e., they are not added in quadrature).

• Convert from percent to absolute uncertainties (to get correct significant figures for
final answer).

Important note for uncertainty calculations –Keep extra significant figures in
uncertainties when doing computations. Convert to one significant figure in the final
number (i.e., final answer)!

This is what I have as a basic rule for uncertainties, but this doesn't mention the fact of showing me how to convert centimeters or meters in uncertainties. Please let me know if these are correct!

d1 = 2.53 cm +/- .05 cm

d2 = 1.753 m +/- .001 m

Using the measured quantities above, calculate the following. Express the uncertainty calculated value.

1. d3 = 4 (d1 + d2)

delta d3 = 4 * (0.05 + 0.001) = 0.204

2. a = 4 v1^2 / d2

delta a = 4 * (2 * 0.15 - 0.001) = 1.196

3. d1 (tan (0))

4. Z = 4d1 (cos (0)) ^2

4 * 0.05 = 0.2

Are these right or are they still wrong? I did try to work on them. Please let me know as soon as you can!

mfb said:
Good, you'll just need the most basic rule.
How old is the captain?
Then you can look that up.

1 cm = 0.01m

You should be able to figure the rest out from this.

I shall give you an example of error propagation and you should be able to apply this to your problems.

Two measured lengths, a and b.

a = 106.0 ± 0.3 mm
b = 58.3 ± 0.4 mm

When we add these together we expect to see the final error is bigger than either of the contributing errors, but not larger than the sum of the errors.

if x = a + b

σ2x = σ2a + σ2b

(where σ means uncertainty)

a + b = 164.3 ± (0.32 + 0.42)1/2

= 164.3 ± 0.5 mm

All I've done is taken the square root of the errors added in quadrature to find the error in x.

Joystar77 said:
(i.e., they are not added in quadrature).
So you know about a proper way to combine errors: add them in quadrature.

This is what I have as a basic rule for uncertainties
And this is all you need.

but this doesn't mention the fact of showing me how to convert centimeters or meters in uncertainties.
It also does not mention that "5" is the number that follows "4". It is expected that you know the basics, or know where to find them.

Please let me know if these are correct!

d1 = 2.53 cm +/- .05 cm

d2 = 1.753 m +/- .001 m

1. d3 = 4 (d1 + d2)

delta d3 = 4 * (0.05 + 0.001) = 0.204

2. a = 4 v1^2 / d2

delta a = 4 * (2 * 0.15 - 0.001) = 1.196

3. d1 (tan (0))

4. Z = 4d1 (cos (0)) ^2

4 * 0.05 = 0.2

Are these right or are they still wrong? I did try to work on them. Please let me know as soon as you can!
You just randomly add numbers that appear somewhere. That does not work.

Related to Calculating Uncertainties of Measured quantities (Physics)

1. What is the purpose of calculating uncertainties in measured quantities?

Calculating uncertainties allows us to determine the range of possible values for a measured quantity and assess the reliability and accuracy of our measurements.

2. How do you calculate uncertainties in physics?

Uncertainties in physics are typically calculated using a combination of measurement errors and statistical methods such as standard deviation or confidence intervals.

3. What factors contribute to uncertainties in measurements?

Uncertainties in measurements can be caused by a variety of factors, such as limitations of measuring instruments, human error, and natural variability in the physical phenomenon being measured.

4. Can uncertainties be eliminated completely?

No, uncertainties cannot be eliminated completely. However, they can be reduced by using more precise measuring instruments, repeating measurements, and careful data analysis.

5. How do uncertainties affect the reliability of experimental results?

Uncertainties can affect the reliability of experimental results by introducing errors and making it difficult to determine the true value of a measured quantity. It is important to properly account for uncertainties in order to accurately interpret experimental data.