Calculating Variance: Sample vs Population

In summary, the conversation was about finding an expression for the variance of something and the confusion around the formula for var(Xbar). It was clarified that var(Xbar) = 1/n x var(x) and that the only time n^2 would appear in the denominator is if it was a single observation being considered. The differences between population variance and sample variance were also discussed.
CAH
Member warned multiple times about not using the homework template
See the photo of the question+ mark scheme!
I don't understand a question on finding an expression for the variance of something...

Attempt at solution: also I worked out c as (3/2) previously, which is correct
Var(U) = (3/2)^2 x Var(Xbar) = 9/4n^2 x a^2/18

I'll attach a photo of this too if it's easier to read, my problem is that I thought var(Xbar) = var(x/n) = 1/n^2 x var(x)

... But they have done var(Xbar) = 1/n x var(x) ...?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 424
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 442
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 411
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about this:
[tex]
Var\left(\bar X\right) = Var\left(\frac 1 n \sum_{i=1}^n X_i\right) = \frac 1 {N^2} \sum_{i=1}^n Var(X_i)
[/tex]

What happens when you simplify the sum?

Ah I see so it's just sigma^2/n, is this the same for all cases as in, calculating the variance of a sample and estimating a population variance?.. In other words, kinda, will it ever (a level standard) be 1/n^2 x var(x)

Probably a stupid question, just checking

The only time you would have [itex] n^2 [/itex] in the denominator is if you were (for some reason) considering mathematically a single observation [itex] X_1 [/itex] and calculate
[tex]
Var\left( \dfrac{X_1}{n}\right) = \dfrac{Var(X)}{n^2}
[/tex]

"is this the same for all cases as in, calculating the variance of a sample and estimating a population variance?"
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, so if my response is off-target that's why.

If you've talked about sampling distributions for the sample mean, the expression [itex] \frac{\sigma^2}n [/itex] is the population variance for that sampling distribution. It will never have denominator [itex] n^2 [/itex], since, as long as the distribution being sampled has a variance, the steps shown above apply.

The (sample) variance of a sample is a different beast. Essentially
* if the population variance is [itex] \sigma^2 [/itex], then the sample variance
[tex]
s^2 = \dfrac 1 {n-1} \sum_{i=1}^n \, \left(x_i - \bar x\right)^2
[/tex]
is an unbiased estimator of the population variance

* If you refer to the variance of the sampling distribution of [itex] \bar x [/itex] - which is given above - then to estimate that you have two options
a) If you have a single sample, use the sample variance [tex] s^2 [/tex] to estimate the sampling distribution's variance by calculating
[tex]
\dfrac{s^2}{n}
[/tex]

b) If you have a large number of samples, all the same sample size, from the same population, then calculate each sample mean and treat those sample means as a new sample. The sample variance of those (call it [itex] s_{\bar x}^2[/itex]) is the estimate of [itex] \dfrac{\sigma^2}{n}[/itex]

So there are several subtleties to wade through, but in none but the one unusual and unrealistic comment I made at the start will [itex] \frac{\sigma^2}{n^2} [/itex] play a role.

FAQ: Calculating Variance: Sample vs Population

1. What is an expression for variance?

An expression for variance is a mathematical equation that calculates the variability of a set of data. It is used to measure how spread out or dispersed the data points are from the mean or average value.

2. How is variance different from standard deviation?

Variance and standard deviation are both measures of variability, but they differ in the unit of measurement. Variance is the average squared deviation from the mean, while standard deviation is the square root of the variance and is measured in the same units as the data.

3. What is the formula for calculating variance?

The formula for variance is:
Variance = (sum of squared deviations from the mean) / (number of data points)

4. How is variance used in data analysis?

Variance is used in data analysis to understand the spread and distribution of data points. It helps to identify outliers and understand the overall trend of the data set.

5. Can variance be negative?

No, variance cannot be negative. It is always a non-negative value, as it represents the squared differences from the mean. A variance of 0 indicates that all data points are the same, while a larger variance indicates a wider spread of data points.