Calculating velocity and position from time variating force

In summary, the conversation discusses how to get rid of the constants c1 and c2 when solving for the position and velocity functions using the given equations. It is suggested to use initial conditions, such as assuming the initial velocity is zero or using a specific value for the initial velocity.
jeremyskate

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

2. Homework Equations [/B]
v(t)=∫a(t)dt
r(t)=∫v(t)dt

The Attempt at a Solution

f=ma
a(t)=f/m
a(t)=(4/5t^2i-3/5tj)
(integrate)
v(t)=4/5i(t^3/3+c1)-3/5j(t^2/2+c2)
how can i get rid of the c1 c2?

Physics news on Phys.org
You use initial conditions to get rid of them.
One condition is that initial position is the origin.
Another initial condition is the initial velocity, which is not stated, but needs to be. Since they haven't stated it, the simplest approach is to assume it is zero.

v(0)=0 would make the most sense but since it isn't mentioned I also thought of leaving the constants and integrating them as well to get the position function, but the end result would have way too much undefined variables...

If you assume that the initial velocity is ##v_1\mathbf{i}+v_2\mathbf{j}## then you will get rid of c1 and c2 and instead have ##v_1,v_2## in all your answers. That shouldn't be too onerous.

erroneous?

FAQ: Calculating velocity and position from time variating force

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity from time variating force?

The formula for calculating velocity from time variating force is v = a(t) dt, where a(t) represents the acceleration at a specific time interval and dt represents the change in time.

2. How do you determine position from time variating force?

To determine position from time variating force, you can use the formula x = x0 + v0t + 1/2 a(t) dt2, where x0 represents the initial position, v0 represents the initial velocity, and a(t) represents the acceleration at a specific time interval.

3. Can you calculate velocity and position without knowing the force?

Yes, it is possible to calculate velocity and position without knowing the force. This can be done by using other variables such as acceleration, time, and initial values of velocity and position, as seen in the above formulas.

4. How does time affect the calculation of velocity and position?

Time is a crucial component in calculating velocity and position from time variating force. The change in time interval (dt) is used in both the velocity and position formulas to determine the final values. The longer the time interval, the greater the impact on the final values.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating velocity and position from time variating force?

Some real-world applications of calculating velocity and position from time variating force include analyzing the motion of objects in physics experiments, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and understanding the movement of celestial bodies in space. It can also be used in engineering and design to optimize the performance of machines and structures.