Calculating Velocity from Kinetic Energy: Solving for v in the r=mv/qb Formula

In summary, a proton with a kinetic energy of 4.6×10−16 J moves perpendicular to a magnetic field of 0.26 T. The formula r=mv/qb can be used to find the radius of its circular path, but the velocity is not given. To find the velocity, the mass of a proton and the definition of kinetic energy (1/2 mv^2) can be used.
baylorbelle
A proton with a kinetic energy of 4.6×10−16 J moves perpendicular to a magnetic field of 0.26 T. What is the radius of its circular path?

I know the formula is r=mv/qb. the only thing not given is v. So my question is how do I get v from Joules? I know 1 Joule=1N/m, and that N=ma, but I don't know how to get velocity from that. Any help on that part would be greatly appreciated : )

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the definition of kinetic energy?

1/2 mv^2

baylorbelle said:
1/2 mv^2
There you go. Now you can solve for v using the given information. (You may have to look up the mass of a proton.)

thanks!

Related to Calculating Velocity from Kinetic Energy: Solving for v in the r=mv/qb Formula

What is the formula for finding velocity from Joules?

The formula for finding velocity from Joules is v = √(2J/m), where v is velocity in meters per second, J is the energy in Joules, and m is the mass in kilograms.

Can velocity be determined solely from the amount of Joules?

No, velocity cannot be determined solely from the amount of Joules. Other factors such as the mass and type of object, and any external forces acting on the object, must also be taken into consideration.

What is the relationship between Joules and velocity?

Joules and velocity are related in that Joules represent energy, and velocity represents the rate at which an object moves. The amount of energy (Joules) an object has can affect its velocity, but it is not the only factor that determines velocity.

Can velocity be negative when determined from Joules?

Yes, velocity can be negative when determined from Joules. This would indicate that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the force or energy applied to it.

Are there any limitations to using Joules to find velocity?

Yes, there are limitations to using Joules to find velocity. This method assumes that all the energy applied to an object is converted into kinetic energy, and does not take into account any energy lost due to friction or other external factors.

Back