Calculating Velocity in a Venturi Effect Nozzle: Converting Units

In summary, the Venturi effect nozzle starts off at 100 cm and goes down to 40 cm, the flow rate of the gas is 2.23 m3/s, and the average velocity at the beginning and end of the nozzle is 0.000284 cm/s and 0.001775 cm/s.
ISX

Homework Statement

Venturi effect nozzle.. Starts off at 100cm and goes down to 40cm. The flow rate of the gas is 2.23 m3/s. What is the average velocity at the beginning and end of the nozzle.

Homework Equations

Continuity Formula, Bernelli = Q = A1V1=A2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

It's not the solution I am having trouble with so much, I am having a brain fart with units. I can take the area of 100cm and get 7850 cm2 and 40cm works out to 1256cm2 and you end up with a starting velocity of 0.000284 and an ending velocity of 0.001775 which I am assuming is cm/s.. Is that right or do I need to convert 100cm and 40cm to meters first and then do the calculation and then end up with meters/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
ISX said:
I can take the area of 100cm and get 7850 cm2 and 40cm works out to 1256cm2 and you end up with a starting velocity of 0.000284 and an ending velocity of 0.001775 which I am assuming is cm/s.

Hi ISX. No need to assume anything here. If you carry your units along in the calculation it will guide you. You have V = Q/A. You plugged in numbers as V = (2.23 m3/s)/(7850 cm2). So, what do the units reduce to here?

I guess I've never read it like you put it, just always had a guide to follow in the book. I see cubic meters and cm squared so I woulda thought you would make them both cm or both meters..so I'm still not sure.

ISX said:
I see cubic meters and cm squared so I woulda thought you would make them both cm or both meters..so I'm still not sure.

Right. You can go either way: convert the cm2 to m2 or convert the m3 to cm3.

Alright so both of these should be right then.

2cx650.jpg

Yes. Nice. :smile:

Schweeeeet. Thanks.

Related to Calculating Velocity in a Venturi Effect Nozzle: Converting Units

1. What are some common issues with units in scientific research?

Some common issues with units in scientific research include inconsistencies in unit conversion, incorrect unit usage, missing or incorrect units in data, and using non-standard or outdated units.

2. How can I prevent units from causing problems in my research?

To prevent units from causing problems in research, it is important to double-check all unit conversions and usage, use standard and up-to-date units, and clearly label all data with the appropriate units. It can also be helpful to have a colleague or peer review the units in your research to catch any potential errors.

3. What are some consequences of having issues with units in research?

Having issues with units in research can lead to inaccurate or unreliable results, which can undermine the validity of the entire study. It can also create confusion and make it difficult for others to replicate or build upon the research.

4. How can I address unit issues in my data analysis?

To address unit issues in data analysis, it is important to carefully review and clean the data, paying close attention to any inconsistencies or missing units. It may also be helpful to consult with a statistician or data analyst to ensure proper unit usage in calculations and analyses.

5. Are there any resources available to help with unit conversion and usage?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with unit conversion and usage, including online unit converters and databases of standard units for different fields of study. It can also be helpful to consult with experts in the specific field of research to ensure proper unit usage.

Back