Calculating Vertical Ball Collision Speed at 100m Cliff | Physics Question

• Thread starter Stroodle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the question asks for the initial velocity of the tennis ball so that it is struck by the golf ball at the top of its path. Using the equations v = vi + at and d = vi x t + (at^2)/2, and assuming both balls were released at the same time, we can set up two equations and solve for the initial velocity of the tennis ball. The answer may vary depending on the values used.
Stroodle
A girl at the bottom of a [tex]100\ m[/tex] high cliff throws a tennis ball vertically upwards. A boy at the very top of the cliff drops a golf ball so that it hits the tennis ball while both balls are still in the air. The acceleration of both balls can be assumed to be [tex]10ms^{-2}[/tex] downwards.

With what speed is the tennis ball thrown so that the golf ball strikes it at the top of its path?

I don't know where to start with this one. Is the question missing something? I assume that both balls were both released at the same time...

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for the tennis ball: v = vi + at
0 = vi -10t
(1) write an equation with t = ...

for the golf ball: d=vi x t + (at^2)/2
vi = 0 (for the golf ball) a = 10 and substitute the t from equation (1)

you'll end up with (2) d = ...

for the tennis ball: 100 - d = vi x t + (at^2)/2
a = -10, substite equation (2) for d, and substitute (1) for t

gudluck and tell me waht the answer is

Hello,

Thank you for your question. This is an interesting scenario and requires some calculations to determine the answer.

First, we need to determine the time it takes for the tennis ball to reach the top of the cliff. We can use the equation d = v_i*t + 1/2*a*t^2, where d is the distance (100m), v_i is the initial velocity (which we are trying to find), a is the acceleration (-10m/s^2), and t is the time.

Plugging in these values, we get 100m = v_i*t - 5t^2. We can rearrange this equation to solve for t as t = (v_i +/- sqrt(v_i^2 - 4(-5)(100)))/-10.

Since the tennis ball is thrown vertically upwards, we can assume that its final velocity at the top of the cliff is 0. Therefore, we can use this information to solve for v_i.

At the top of the cliff, the tennis ball and golf ball will have the same velocity, since they collide. This means that the velocity of the golf ball will also be 0 at this point.

Using the equation v_f = v_i + at, we can determine the initial velocity of the golf ball as 10m/s. This is also the velocity of the tennis ball at the top of the cliff.

Now, we can plug in this value for v_i in our equation for t and solve for it. We get t = 2 seconds.

So, the initial velocity of the tennis ball must be 20m/s for it to reach the top of the cliff in 2 seconds and collide with the golf ball.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Related to Calculating Vertical Ball Collision Speed at 100m Cliff | Physics Question

1. How do you calculate the vertical ball collision speed at a 100m cliff?

To calculate the vertical ball collision speed at a 100m cliff, you will need to use the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the vertical collision speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the cliff (100m). Plug in these values into the equation to calculate the speed.

2. What is the significance of calculating the vertical ball collision speed at a 100m cliff?

Calculating the vertical ball collision speed at a 100m cliff is important because it allows us to understand the impact force that the ball will experience when it hits the ground. This information is useful for designing safety measures or determining the potential damage caused by the ball.

3. How does the mass of the ball affect the vertical collision speed?

The mass of the ball does not affect the vertical collision speed. According to the equation v = √(2gh), the mass of the ball does not appear as a variable. This means that the vertical collision speed is solely determined by the height of the cliff and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can the vertical collision speed be greater than the initial downward speed of the ball?

Yes, the vertical collision speed can be greater than the initial downward speed of the ball. This is because the ball will accelerate due to the force of gravity as it falls from the cliff. The vertical collision speed will be equal to the final downward speed of the ball just before it hits the ground.

5. How can this calculation be applied in real-life situations?

This calculation can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in sports where balls are thrown or kicked from a certain height. It can also be used in engineering and construction to determine the impact force of falling objects. Additionally, this calculation can be useful in understanding the dynamics of objects in free fall, such as meteorites or satellites.