Calculating Vertical Load on a Gantry Beam: Tips and Tricks | Physics Forum

In summary, the individual is seeking help in calculating the vertical load on a beam in a gantry design. They are able to calculate the maximum bending moment but are unsure about finding the 182KNm load. A solution is suggested using static equilibrium and creating a section cut at a specific point. The individual is advised to refer to their textbook for guidance and to show their calculations for verification.
cash168

Homework Statement

Hi there! I have recently studying how to design gantry. but I got one problem about how to calculate the vertical load on the beam. can anyone help me and let me know how to find the Reactions 114kn and 183kn in the picture. and I know how to find the max bending moment using the equation. but really doesn't know how to find the 182 kn on this question. can Anyone help me. thanks. many many thanks

the picture link https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386476

Physics news on Phys.org
Use static equilibrium (summation of vertical forces, and summation of moments about any point) to solve for the reaction forces.

THX mate. I know the max bending moment 330KNm I can use Mv = 2Wv/L*(L/2_aw/4)^2+Wg*L/8. but how to find 182KNm? thank you very much mate.

cash168: Create a section cut at x = 7 m, and compute a summation of moment on the left or right side of the section cut to obtain the moment at the section cut.

nvn said:
cash168: Create a section cut at x = 7 m, and compute a summation of moment on the left or right side of the section cut to obtain the moment at the section cut.

hi mate. not quite understand. can you show me , how to find the 182KNm or the 114KN Reactions . many thanks

cash168: Study your textbook and study the example problems in your textbook. Show your calculations, and then someone might check your math.

FAQ: Calculating Vertical Load on a Gantry Beam: Tips and Tricks | Physics Forum

1. What are beam reactions?

Beam reactions refer to the forces and moments that occur at the supports of a structural beam. These reactions are necessary to keep the beam in equilibrium and prevent it from collapsing.

2. How do I calculate beam reactions?

The calculation of beam reactions involves applying the principles of statics, which includes identifying all external forces acting on the beam and using equations of equilibrium to solve for the reactions at each support.

3. What factors affect beam reactions?

The magnitude and direction of beam reactions are influenced by several factors, including the weight and location of the load applied to the beam, the support conditions, and the geometry of the beam.

4. Why is it important to consider beam reactions in structural design?

Beam reactions are crucial in ensuring the stability and safety of a structure. Without proper consideration of beam reactions, a structure may be at risk of failure or collapse.

5. Can beam reactions be negative?

Yes, beam reactions can be negative. Negative reactions occur when the direction of the reaction force or moment is opposite to the assumed positive direction. This can happen when a beam is under compression or when a support is exerting an upward force.

Back