Calculating vertical velocity from discrete horizontal velocities

In summary, it looks like vertical velocity can be calculated from 3D point arrays by using a 3x3 kernel.
Bonhomme
Hello,

I'm working with a 2 x 3D arrays of fluid velocity values (east-west -> u and north-south -> v) and would like to properly calculate vertical velocities (w) from them (n.b. this is not homework). This ultimately needs to go into a processing algorithm, so while symbolic math is instructive, it needs to be implementable in programming code (other than Mathematica/Matlab). I know that the continuity equation dw/dz = -∇.v can be integrated to give w, but I'm not sure how to work this properly given arrays of point values. Another wrinkle is that my horizontal bin size is not the same as my vertical bin size (e.g. x and y sides are 1 km, z is 15 m)

e.g.
u@z = 10m
1 2 3 4
1 2 3 4
1 2 3 4

u@z = 25m
2 3 4 5
2 3 4 5
2 3 4 5

v@z = 10m
1 1 1 1
2 2 2 2
3 3 3 3

v@z=25m
2 2 2 2
3 3 3 3
4 4 4 4

One option is to take the difference between point locations, but that converts the data locations into midpoints. I'd prefer to avoid back-interpolating if that's possible, though I don't mind losing the edge values.

Anyways, any advice on how to extract vertical velocity values from 3D point arrays would be appreciated. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Calculating vertical velocity - dx and dy from kernel

Rather than taking midpoints, it looks like I can calculate dx and dy at the midpoint if I use a 3x3 kernel. e.g.

a b c
d e f
g h i

[du/dx] = ((c + 2f + i) - (a + 2d + g) / 8
[dv/dy] = ((g + 2h + i) - (a + 2b + c)) / 8

I guess the key now is to account for the difference in horizontal and vertical scales...

I guess the key now is to account for the difference in horizontal and vertical scales...
With appropriate prefactors. Your sides in the horizontal directions have an area of 15m*1km, while your sides in the vertical direction have an area of 1km*1km. Therefore, the vertical velocity is smaller by a factor of 1km/(15m)=200/3, compared to a grid with uniform density in all directions.

Perfect. I was wondering if it could be handled that way, and I'm glad that you're confirming it. Thanks -

Related to Calculating vertical velocity from discrete horizontal velocities

1. What is vertical velocity?

Vertical velocity is defined as the rate of change of an object's vertical position in a specific direction. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is vertical velocity calculated?

Vertical velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in vertical position by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: v = ∆y/∆t, where v is the vertical velocity, ∆y is the change in vertical position, and ∆t is the change in time.

3. What are discrete horizontal velocities?

Discrete horizontal velocities refer to a set of velocities that are measured at specific points in time, rather than continuously. This is commonly seen in experiments or simulations where velocity is measured at specific intervals, rather than being continuously recorded.

4. How can you calculate vertical velocity from discrete horizontal velocities?

To calculate vertical velocity from discrete horizontal velocities, you will need to use the formula for vertical velocity (v = ∆y/∆t) and plug in the values of the change in vertical position (∆y) and the change in time (∆t) for each discrete horizontal velocity. Then, you can take the average of all the calculated vertical velocities to get a more accurate result.

5. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating vertical velocity from discrete horizontal velocities?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of this calculation include the time interval between each discrete horizontal velocity measurement, any external forces acting on the object, and any errors in the measurements of horizontal velocities. It is important to take these factors into consideration when calculating vertical velocity to ensure accuracy.