Calculating Voltage in a Circuit with Capacitors and Resistors

In summary, the conversation discusses two possible methods for calculating the voltage and current in a circuit using a capacitor and resistor. The first method involves using the equation Q=CV, while the second method involves considering the voltage across the capacitor and resistor together. However, it is determined that the second method may not be accurate due to discrepancies in the units used. The conversation also touches on the use of time-step models and how values pertaining to different instants in time can affect the calculations. Ultimately, it is concluded that the first method, Q=CV, is the preferred method for this particular circuit.
jsmith613

Homework Statement

PD_Capacitor.png
Link: http://s359.photobucket.com/albums/oo40/jsmith613/?action=view&current=PD_Capacitor.png
How is cell E3 calculated?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

now I know I can use Q=CV BUT another possible method is to say:
Voltage-Capacitor + Voltage-resistor = 5V (voltage supply)

V-capacitor: 5-(1.11*3) = 1.67 (the m and k powers of +3 and -3 cancel)
But this gives the value in cell E2...why does this method not work for E3?

Physics news on Phys.org
Column E seems suspiciously in step with column D. :smile:
The current changes during each 0.1 sec increment. The current listed is that at the start of each time period; the current at the end of each time period is listed as for the start of the next time period.

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
Column E seems suspiciously in step with column D. :smile:

thats because of Q=CV
but what I want to know is why my method does not work :S
thanks

jsmith613 said:
now I know I can use Q=CV BUT another possible method is to say:
Voltage-Capacitor + Voltage-resistor = 5V (voltage supply)

You should pay attention to the units associated with the values and not just the numerical values. You may be comparing apples and oranges.

Think about what the "Δ" in ΔQ stands for.

gneill said:
You should pay attention to the units associated with the values and not just the numerical values. You may be comparing apples and oranges.

well it means "change in charge"...

NascentOxygen said:
The current changes during each 0.1 sec increment. The current listed is that at the start of each time period; the current at the end of each time period is listed as for the start of the next time period.

why would I use the end current (i.e the one in the next row down) to find the voltage across the resistor...surely the p.d given is that at the start too??

gneill said:

well it means "change in charge"...
the bigger question is though, why must I use the current in the row below to find the voltage across the resistor...?

The currents given pertain to the initial current at the beginning of each time step, which is to say, they also correspond to the current at then END of the previous time step. So you would expect I*R to give the voltage drop at the END of the last time step (and the beginning of the current time step). On the other hand, the total charges and the potentials on a given line correspond to the end of the current time step. So the currents are one time step out of sync with the potential differences displayed on a given line.

gneill said:
So the currents are one time step out of sync with the potential differences displayed on a given line.

ok...how was this obvious from the data given...perhaps I am missing something big but this bit is clearly what is confusing me

It's not so much obvious as having to figure out how the table was built using a time step model. What values pertain to which instants in time?

gneill said:
It's not so much obvious as having to figure out how the table was built using a time step model. What values pertain to which instants in time?

I have never studies time-step models...I presume I will just stick to the Q=CV method (which is what was on the MS...my other method appears not to work very well with this table, based on what I know)

I agree with all that gneill has written and will add that for charging a capacitor at t=0
I is max = E/r, Vc = 0 and Qc = 0.
At t= 0 you have measured I = 1.67mA which means the voltage across r = 1.67mA x 3000 ohms = 5V... confirming that this is a capacitor at the start of charging.
Row 2 for t = 0 should have Q = 0 and V = 0

truesearch said:
I agree with all that gneill has written and will add that for charging a capacitor at t=0
I is max = E/r, Vc = 0 and Qc = 0.
At t= 0 you have measured I = 1.67mA which means the voltage across r = 1.67mA x 3000 ohms = 5V... confirming that this is a capacitor at the start of charging.
Row 2 for t = 0 should have Q = 0 and V = 0

ok so the examiners were clearly looking for use of Q=CV ONLY as this is the ONLY method that apparently works...never mind...I guess you have to give 'em what they want :)

FAQ: Calculating Voltage in a Circuit with Capacitors and Resistors

1. How do you calculate voltage in a circuit?

To calculate voltage in a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). So, the equation for voltage is V = I * R.

2. What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

The unit of measurement for voltage is volts (V). This unit is named after Italian physicist Alessandro Volta, who invented the first battery.

3. How do you measure voltage in a circuit?

To measure voltage in a circuit, you can use a voltmeter. This instrument is placed in parallel with the component or part of the circuit you want to measure the voltage across.

4. What is the difference between voltage and current?

Voltage and current are two important concepts in electricity. Voltage is the potential difference between two points in a circuit, while current is the flow of electric charge through a circuit. Voltage is measured in volts, while current is measured in amperes (A).

5. What factors can affect the voltage in a circuit?

Several factors can affect the voltage in a circuit, including the type and number of components, the length and thickness of wires, and the power supply. Additionally, resistance in a circuit can also affect the voltage, as higher resistance means lower voltage.

Back