Calculating Volume of a 100kg Mass in Freshwater

• Thread starter LoveKnowledge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Volume
In summary, to calculate the approximate volume of your friend in freshwater, you need to divide her mass of 100 kg by the average density of fresh water.
LoveKnowledge
1. Your friend of mass 100 kg can just barely float in freshwater. Calculate her approximate volume.

n/a

3. I am confused in how I am supposed to solve this simple problem? Do I need to calculate the average density of fresh water * the 100 kg mass?

Physics news on Phys.org

LoveKnowledge said:
1. Your friend of mass 100 kg can just barely float in freshwater. Calculate her approximate volume.

n/a

3. I am confused in how I am supposed to solve this simple problem? Do I need to calculate the average density of fresh water * the 100 kg mass?
Mass = density x volume. Volume = mass/density. Yes, you need to look up the average density of fresh water.

Related to Calculating Volume of a 100kg Mass in Freshwater

1. How do you calculate the volume of a 100kg mass in freshwater?

To calculate the volume of a 100kg mass in freshwater, you will need to use the formula V=m/ρ, where V is volume, m is mass, and ρ is the density of freshwater. The density of freshwater is approximately 1000 kg/m³, so the equation becomes V=100kg/1000kg/m³. This gives a volume of 0.1 m³ or 100 liters.

2. Why is the density of freshwater important in calculating volume?

The density of a substance is the measure of how tightly packed its molecules are. In the case of freshwater, its density is important because it affects how much space a certain mass of water will occupy. This is why the density of freshwater is needed in the volume calculation formula.

3. Can the volume of a 100kg mass in freshwater change?

Yes, the volume of a 100kg mass in freshwater can change. This is because the density of freshwater can vary depending on factors such as temperature, salinity, and pressure. Therefore, the volume of a 100kg mass in freshwater may change if any of these factors change.

4. Is the volume of a 100kg mass in freshwater the same as its weight?

No, the volume and weight of a 100kg mass in freshwater are not the same. Volume is a measure of the space occupied by an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. The weight of a 100kg mass in freshwater will be approximately 980 N (newtons) due to the force of gravity, but its volume will remain the same at 0.1 m³.

5. Can the volume of a 100kg mass in freshwater be calculated using any other formula?

Yes, there are other ways to calculate the volume of a 100kg mass in freshwater. For example, if you know the dimensions (length, width, and height) of the object, you can use the formula V=lwh to calculate its volume. However, this formula assumes that the object has a regular shape, whereas the formula V=m/ρ can be used for any object with a known mass and density.