Calculating Volume of Uranium Alloy for Critical Mass

• Thread starter someone21
  • Start date
In summary: I know that there are many sites from google but i somehow don't find it easy to understand thereby any other good sites.
someone21
A uranium alloy has density of 18.75 g/cm3. Find the volume if occupied
by a critical mass of 49 kg of this alloy? The critical mass itself can be decreased to 16
kg if the alloy is surrounded by a layer of natural uranium ( neutron reflector). What is the volume of the smaller mass?

I am sorry but I have no idea how to do this question, I just don't get how to start , like should i use moles or possibly nuclear equations. No idea

Lastly, more importantly any good sites to teach how to draw Lewis structure

Physics news on Phys.org
You have mass, you have density, just use these number to calculate volume. That's all.

Borek said:
You have mass, you have density, just use these number to calculate volume. That's all.

Thanks but then what is all the decreased mass and all those

And they are asking the 'smaller' mass

You have two masses given - 49 kg and 16 kg. One is larger, one is smaller. There is nothing more to the question, everything else is just to make the question more interesting (or more confusing if you like).

Borek said:
You have two masses given - 49 kg and 16 kg. One is larger, one is smaller. There is nothing more to the question, everything else is just to make the question more interesting (or more confusing if you like).

So the answer is 16000 g /18.75g

And what will the unit for volume be

someone21 said:
So the answer is 16000 g /18.75g

[tex]\frac {16000 g} { 18.75 \frac {g} {mL}} [/tex]

Units follow from that.

Borek said:
[tex]\frac {16000 g} { 18.75 \frac {g} {mL}} [/tex]

Units follow from that.

Thanks for answering that but I had one more question as in my first post

Lastly, more importantly any good sites to teach how to draw Lewis structure

I know that there are many sites from google but i somehow don't find it easy to understand thereby any other good sites

Related to Calculating Volume of Uranium Alloy for Critical Mass

What is the definition of mass-volume question?

A mass-volume question is a type of scientific inquiry that involves determining the relationship between the mass and volume of a substance.

Why is the mass-volume relationship important?

The mass-volume relationship is important because it allows scientists to calculate the density of a substance, which can provide valuable information about its physical properties and composition.

What are some common units of measurement for mass and volume?

Some common units of measurement for mass include grams (g) and kilograms (kg), while common units of measurement for volume include milliliters (mL) and cubic centimeters (cm3).

How do you calculate the density of a substance?

Density is calculated by dividing the mass of a substance by its volume. The formula for density is: density = mass / volume.

What are some real-life applications of mass-volume questions?

Mass-volume questions are used in a variety of fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. Some real-life applications include determining the density of materials for construction, calculating the concentration of a solution in a chemistry experiment, and understanding the properties of various substances in food science.