Calculating Volume of Water Displaced by 12 kg Wooden Block

In summary: V=12/1000V=0.012 cubic metersIn summary, the 12 kg wooden block floating in the swimming pool will displace 0.012 cubic meters of water. This can be found by using the equation m=pv, where the mass of the water is equal to the mass of the block, and the density of water is 1000 kg/m3. Therefore, the volume of water displaced is 0.012 cubic meters.
kuhatelyn
A 12 kg wooden block is floating in a swimming pool. The density of the wood is
600 kg/m3. How many cubic meters of water does the block displace?
(a) 0.044
(b) 0.066
(c) 0.012
(d) not enough information to answer
(e) none of these

I'm really confused on this concept. I know that the weight displaced is the same weight as the object...But I don't know how to find volume from that.
I also tried using the equation m=pv but I don't know if that will work, or if it does, I don't know if I should plug in the density for the wood, or the density of water.

Please help! I've been trying for hours and I can't figure it out :(

Physics news on Phys.org

The block must displace enough water to equal its weight. The density of water (at "normal" temperature and pressure) is 1 g per cm (in fact, that is how "gram" was originally defined). So it should be easy to find the volume of water that has mass 12 kg.

(The volume of the block is, in fact, irrelevant.)

HallsofIvy said:
The block must displace enough water to equal its weight. The density of water (at "normal" temperature and pressure) is 1 g per cm (in fact, that is how "gram" was originally defined). So it should be easy to find the volume of water that has mass 12 kg.

(The volume of the block is, in fact, irrelevant.)

I'm still a little confused..
So would I plug it into m=pv?
12=1000 x V

Related to Calculating Volume of Water Displaced by 12 kg Wooden Block

1. How do you calculate the volume of water displaced by a 12 kg wooden block?

To calculate the volume of water displaced by a 12 kg wooden block, you need to measure the dimensions of the block, including length, width, and height. Then, use the formula V = lwh, where V is the volume, l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height. This will give you the volume of the wooden block in cubic meters.

2. Why is it important to calculate the volume of water displaced by a wooden block?

Calculating the volume of water displaced by a wooden block is important because it can help determine the buoyancy of the block. This information is useful in understanding the behavior of the block in water and can be applied to various real-world scenarios, such as building boats or designing structures that need to float.

3. Can the volume of water displaced change if the wooden block is submerged at different depths?

Yes, the volume of water displaced can change if the wooden block is submerged at different depths. This is because the pressure of the water increases with depth, causing the block to sink deeper and displace more water. However, the volume of the block itself will remain the same.

4. Is it possible for a wooden block to displace more water than its own volume?

No, it is not possible for a wooden block to displace more water than its own volume. This is due to the principle of buoyancy, which states that an object will displace its own weight in water. Since the volume of water displaced is directly proportional to the weight of the object, a wooden block can only displace an amount of water equal to its own volume.

5. How does the density of the wooden block affect the volume of water displaced?

The density of the wooden block does not directly affect the volume of water displaced. The volume of water displaced is determined by the size and shape of the block, not its density. However, the density of the block does play a role in its buoyancy, as a less dense block will displace more water and float higher compared to a more dense block of the same size.