Calculating Volume Using Buoyant Forces

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the volume of a cube using the buoyant force of the cube when submerged in water. The given density of water is 1.00g/cm^3 or 1000 kg/m^3 and the mass of the cube is 90.6g, with 58.5g submerged. The buoyant force is 32.1g and the person is seeking help to determine the volume of the cube. Archimedes's principle is suggested as a hint to solve the problem.
F2m185
I haven't done Physics in some time now and have forgotten how to do some rather simple calculations it seems.

I am trying to calculate the volume of a cube (in cm^3) using the buoyant force of the cube when submerged into water. The given density of water I am using is 1.00g/cm^3 or 1000 kg/m^3. The mass of the cube is 90.6g, and 58.5g submerged.

The buoyant force is 32.1g. Am I missing something here?

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
F2m185 said:
The mass of the cube is 90.6g, and 58.5g submerged.
I assume you mean that the apparent weight of the submerged cube equals the weight of a 58.5g mass.

The buoyant force is 32.1g. Am I missing something here?

Any help?
So far, so good. (With a similar comment as above.) So what's the volume of the cube? (Hint: Archimedes's principle.)

Doc Al said:
I assume you mean that the apparent weight of the submerged cube equals the weight of a 58.5g mass.

So far, so good. (With a similar comment as above.) So what's the volume of the cube? (Hint: Archimedes's principle.)

Thank you for the help!

Related to Calculating Volume Using Buoyant Forces

1. How is volume calculated using buoyant forces?

Volume can be calculated using the formula V = Fb/ρg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula is derived from Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces.

2. What is the significance of calculating volume using buoyant forces?

Calculating volume using buoyant forces is important in determining the density of an object or substance. It is also used in various applications, such as shipbuilding and designing flotation devices, where knowledge of the volume and buoyancy of an object is crucial.

3. Can buoyant force be used to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects?

Yes, buoyant force can be used to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects. This is because the buoyant force is independent of the shape of the object and only depends on its volume and the density of the fluid it is submerged in.

4. How does the density of the fluid affect the calculation of volume using buoyant forces?

The density of the fluid has a direct impact on the buoyant force and therefore affects the calculation of volume. A denser fluid will exert a greater buoyant force on an object, resulting in a larger volume calculation.

5. Are there any limitations to using buoyant forces to calculate volume?

One limitation of using buoyant forces to calculate volume is that it assumes the object is completely submerged in the fluid. If the object is partially submerged, the volume calculation may not be accurate. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for objects that are highly compressible or have a complex shape.