Calculating Water Flow Through Circular Holes: Speed, Pressure Drop & Formulas

In summary, the conversation discussed the process of calculating the speed of water flowing through a metal plate with circular holes. The goal was to use this information to create a graph showing the relationship between water mass and pressure drop. The conversation also mentioned formulas and coefficients used in the calculations, and the importance of considering factors such as gravity and hole direction.
ZalienMC
Hello every one.
This is my first post here so be gentle if i placed my topic in the wrong section.

My problem is as following.

I am trying to calculate the speed of the water which exits true a metal plate full of cirkulare holes.

The metal plate is square and and has 14 holes each with a diameter of 14mm.
On top of the plate is a watercolum with a total hight of 50cm.
The water runs true the plate into free air so there is no pressure working against the flow.

I want to use the calculated speed of the water to make a graph which shows water mass on the x-axis and pressure drop on the y-axis.

I have come across following formulas:

Volume = surfuce area of holes * speed of water

press loss = zeta * (1/2)*zeta*water speed^2

I am not sure that the last calculation is correct and i have bin unable to find the zeta value in any books of mine.
im guessing its a value which relates to the size of the hole and the dynamics of water.

I have that some of you can give me a push in the right direktion.
Sorry for spelling errors.

Best regards.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is how I would do it:
In the following pictures, there are the following quantities:
p - pressure [N/m^2]
rho - density of water [kg/m^3]
v - speed of flow [m/s]
z - height of a water particle before and after the hole (the difference is approx. 0)
The weird greek letter for which I can't remember the name at the moment is a coefficient of losses for this very case ( = 1.8). I got that from my engineering handbook.

hole1.JPG

hole2.JPG

Don't forget the following:
  • At the moment the water level in the reservoir starts to fall, the velocity will begin to decrease, which is obvious from the equation.
  • If holes are pointing downwards, the velocity that you get from this equation is only correct near the wall. As the water continues to fall, it accelerates and the jet gets narrower.
  • I would re-check the calculations just in case I messed something up, which wouldn't be the first time it happened to me.

Have fun,
kandelabr

Last edited:
ZalienMC: Assuming you have atmospheric pressure above the water surface in the tank, the drainage hole stream exit velocity, and the total flow rate, as a function of tank water depth, are as follows.

v = [2*g*z/(1 + ko)]^0.5 = Cd*(2*g*z)^0.5 = 2.6572*z^0.5,
Q = (14 holes)*v*A*1000 = 2.1551*v = 5.7265*z^0.5,​

where v = drainage hole stream exit velocity (m/s), z = tank water depth (m), Q = total flow rate (L/s), ko = 1.778, Cd = 0.60, g = 9.8067 m/s^2, and d = drainage hole diameter = 0.014 m.

E.g., if z = 0.500 m, you have

v = 2.6572*0.500^0.5 = 1.879 m/s,
Q = 5.7265*0.500^0.5 = 4.049 L/s.

Related to Calculating Water Flow Through Circular Holes: Speed, Pressure Drop & Formulas

1. How does the size of a hole affect water flow?

The size of a hole can greatly affect the rate of water flow. A smaller hole will create more resistance and therefore slow down the flow of water, while a larger hole will allow for faster flow.

2. Does the shape of a hole matter for water flow?

Yes, the shape of a hole can make a difference in the rate of water flow. For example, a circular hole will allow for a more consistent and efficient flow compared to an irregularly shaped hole.

3. What factors influence the pressure of water flow through a hole?

The pressure of water flow through a hole can be influenced by several factors, including the size and shape of the hole, the volume of water, and the surrounding environment. Additionally, the speed and direction of the water before it reaches the hole can also affect the pressure.

4. Can the material of the hole affect water flow?

Yes, the material of the hole can impact water flow. For example, a smoother surface will result in less resistance and allow for faster flow, while a rougher surface can create more turbulence and slow down the flow.

5. How does the height of the water above the hole impact water flow?

The height of the water above the hole can affect water flow by creating pressure. The higher the water level, the greater the pressure and therefore the faster the flow through the hole. However, once the water level exceeds a certain point, it can also create back pressure and slow down the flow.