Calculating Wattage Rating for Generator to Power Electric Motor

In summary, to calculate the wattage rating for a generator to power an electric motor, multiply the voltage by the amperage of the motor. It is not recommended to use a generator with a lower wattage rating than the motor's requirement, as this can cause damage to both the generator and the motor. Additionally, consider the starting or surge wattage of the motor when choosing a generator. If you do not know the voltage and amperage of the motor, you can measure it with a multimeter or refer to the motor's specifications. A generator can power multiple motors, but the total wattage must be considered and the generator should be able to handle the surge wattage of all the motors.
Grabowski
What would be the wattage ratting for a gas/diesel generator to power an electric motor with these specs.

72-144VDC
190A Continuous
43.7HP Continuous

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well the maximum electrical output is : 144 x 190 = 27.36 kW

Assumming 85% efficiency the required input power would be 27.36/0.85 = 32.2 kW

Which (no surprise) is approximately equal to 43.7 HP as given.

thank you

FAQ: Calculating Wattage Rating for Generator to Power Electric Motor

1. How do I calculate the wattage rating for a generator to power an electric motor?

To calculate the wattage rating for a generator to power an electric motor, you will need to know the voltage and amperage of the motor. Multiply the voltage by the amperage to get the wattage needed. This will give you the minimum wattage rating for the generator.

2. Can I use a generator with a lower wattage rating than the electric motor's requirement?

No, it is not recommended to use a generator with a lower wattage rating than the electric motor's requirement. This can cause the generator to overload and potentially damage both the generator and the motor. It is important to always use a generator with a wattage rating equal to or higher than the motor's requirement.

3. What other factors should I consider when calculating the wattage rating for a generator?

In addition to the voltage and amperage of the motor, you should also consider the starting wattage or surge wattage of the motor. Electric motors require a higher wattage during start-up, which can be significantly higher than their running wattage. It is recommended to choose a generator with a wattage rating that can handle the surge wattage of the motor.

4. How can I determine the wattage of my electric motor if I do not know the voltage and amperage?

If you do not know the voltage and amperage of your electric motor, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and amperage while the motor is running. Alternatively, you can refer to the motor's specifications or contact the manufacturer for the wattage information.

5. Can I use a generator to power multiple electric motors at the same time?

Yes, you can use a generator to power multiple electric motors at the same time. However, you will need to calculate the total wattage required by all the motors and choose a generator with a wattage rating that can handle the combined load. It is important to ensure that the generator can handle the surge wattage of all the motors during start-up.