Calculating Wave Frequency in 1 min: 8.0m & 2.0m/s

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of waves that pass a fixed point in 1.0min, given the wavelength and speed of a water wave. The equations used are V = f(lambda) and F = 1/T, where T represents the time for one wave to pass the fixed point. By calculating the frequency and using it to determine the waves passing in 60 seconds, the answer is 15 waves.
BarCode

Homework Statement

The wavelength of a water wave is 8.0m and its speed is 2.0m/s. How many waves will pass a pixed point in the water in 1.0min?

Homework Equations

V =f(lambda)

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I got was that 1.0 min = 60 seconds. From there, I am totally lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Frequency measures the number of waves that pass a fixed point per unit time. Does that help any?

F = 1/T, which is all I know.

Well if you can work out the frequency which tells you how many waves pass a point per second then you can use that to work out how many waves pass in a certain number of seconds.

I get confused as to how to know which number to use for the denominator.

What is the frequency first of all?

F = 1/T
T = P = 8.0m / 2.0s = 4s

F = 1/4

so if one quarter of a wave passes a fixed point every second, how many pass that fixed point in 60 seconds?

60/4
= 15 waves in 60 seconds.

That looks fine to me.

Related to Calculating Wave Frequency in 1 min: 8.0m & 2.0m/s

1. How do you calculate wave frequency?

To calculate wave frequency, you divide the speed of the wave by the wavelength. The formula for frequency (f) is: f = speed / wavelength.

2. What is the unit of measurement for wave frequency?

The unit of measurement for wave frequency is hertz (Hz), which is defined as the number of waves per second.

3. What is the frequency of a wave with a speed of 2.0m/s and a wavelength of 8.0m?

Using the formula f = speed / wavelength, we can plug in the values to get: f = 2.0m/s / 8.0m = 0.25 Hz. Therefore, the frequency of this wave is 0.25 Hz.

4. How does changing the speed affect the frequency of a wave?

When the speed of a wave increases, the frequency also increases. This means that the number of waves passing through a given point in one second increases, resulting in a higher frequency.

5. Is there a relationship between frequency and energy of a wave?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between frequency and energy of a wave. Higher frequencies correspond to higher energy waves, while lower frequencies correspond to lower energy waves.