Calculating Wave Properties: Frequency, Period, Speed, and Wavelength Explained

• Thread starter BRITTANI
  • Start date
In summary: I hope that this will help you in the future.In summary, the Sears building in Chicago oscillates with a frequency of 10.0 Hz and it passes a fixed location every 2.0s. The wave speed is 265 m/s and the length of the string is 63 cm. When the pulses return, the string is above or below its resting location. If you plucked the string 15 cm from from one end of the string, the two pulses would meet.
BRITTANI
I have a lot of questions to be answered, but i want to understand how i am doing it so if anyone can help me one on one today, i'd appreciate it much. here are a few problems:

(1)the sears building in chicago sways back and forth with a frequency of about 10.0 Hz. what is its period?
(2)an ocean wave has a length of 10.0m. a wave passes a fixed location every 2.0 s. what is the speed of the wave?
(3)water waves in a shallow dish are 6.0cm long. at one point, the water oscillates up and down at a rate of 4.8 oscillations per second.
a.what is the speed of the water waves?
b.what is the period of the water waves?
(4)water waves in a lake travel 4.4m in 1.8s. the period or oscillation is 1.2s.
a. what is the speed of the water waves?
b. what are their wavelength?
(5)the frequency of yellow light is 5.0 * 10 ^14 Hz. Find its wavelength.
(6)the wave speed in a guitar string is 265 m/s. the length of the string is 63 cm. you pluck the center of the string by pulling it up and letting go. pulses move in both directions and are reflected off the ends of the string.
a.how long does it take for the pulse to move to the string end and return to the center?
b.when the pulses return, is the string above or below its resting location?
c.if you plucked the string 15 cm from from one end of the string, where would the two pulses meet?

i have more questions but there's a start

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello BRITTANI,
Welcome to PF !

You stated you wanted know how you are doing with this, but it would be impossible to comment on this because you never demonstrated you had actually done anything.

Anyway, I only read the first problem;

(1)the sears building in chicago sways back and forth with a frequency of about 10.0 Hz. what is its period?

I'd be willing to venture a guess if you look up the word 'period' in the Glossary or Index you could find out what you needed to know. There is a very simple mathematical relationship between Frequency and Period. Do you have any idea what it might be?

Good luck

Hello BRITTANI,
Welcome to PF !

You stated you wanted know how you are doing with this, but it would be impossible to comment on this because you never demonstrated you had actually done anything.

Anyway, I only read the second problem;

(2)an ocean wave has a length of 10.0m. a wave passes a fixed location every 2.0 s. what is the speed of the wave?

I'd be willing to venture a guess if you look up the formula representing the relationship of lamda, time, and velocity you could come to know...That is a very simple mathematical relationship among them...

Do you have any idea what it might be?

Good luck

A good start would be to write a post in which you state which formulae you think you'll need, and then comment on specific questions where you are uncertain about how to proceed (and preferably, why)

By the way, as is often the case in mathematics (and other things!) a lot of these problems depend on knowing the precise definitions of the words in the problem.

Related to Calculating Wave Properties: Frequency, Period, Speed, and Wavelength Explained

1. What are the basic wave properties that can be calculated?

The basic wave properties that can be calculated are frequency, period, speed, and wavelength. These properties are interrelated and can be used to understand the behavior of a wave.

2. How is frequency calculated?

Frequency is calculated by dividing the number of waves that pass by a point in a given time period. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and is represented by the symbol f.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and period?

Frequency and period are inversely related. This means that as frequency increases, period decreases and vice versa. The formula for this relationship is T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency.

4. How is wave speed calculated?

Wave speed is calculated by multiplying the frequency of the wave by its wavelength. This relationship is represented by the formula v = fλ, where v is the wave speed, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength.

5. Can the wavelength of a wave be calculated?

Yes, the wavelength of a wave can be calculated by dividing the wave speed by its frequency. This relationship can be expressed as λ = v/f, where λ is the wavelength, v is the wave speed, and f is the frequency.