Calculating Weight in an Elevator

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the weight of a person with a mass of 71 kg riding an elevator at different time intervals, using a velocity vs time graph. The attempted solution involved finding the acceleration, but this did not work due to the changing acceleration of the elevator. The concept of weight was also clarified, as it is the force of gravity on an object, rather than just the mass times the acceleration. Finally, it was suggested to focus on the free body diagram and use Newton's 2nd law to find the necessary information.
rysezhae

Homework Statement

I need to find the weight of a person who has mass 71 kg, and is riding an elevator, at different time intervals. The intervals are 1,5, and 9 seconds. I was given a velocity vs time graph, so I'll try to describe as best i can: The graph starts at (0,0), the slope is 4/1, however when it reaches (2,8)- 2 seconds and 8 m/s - it flatlines for about 4 seconds, then the slope changes to -2/1 and stops when it reaches (0,10) - 10 seconds and 0 m/s.

Homework Equations

No relevant equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the acceleration, which I know is the slope of the graph, then multiplying it by the mass, but obviously that didnt work, also my answer has to have two sig figs, and of my course my attempted answers give me 3 or 4. I think if i could form an equation for the graph and then find the differential, then substitute in the time intervals, that would give me a better number to multiply the mass by

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi rysezhae. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Let me guess. You are trying to find the reading that a spring scale would register with a mass of 71 kg sitting on the scale. This is not always the person's weight. His weight is defined as the force that gravity exerts on him, mg, and this doesn't change even though the reading on the spring scale may vary with the acceleration of the elevator. If the acceleration of the elevator equals zero, the spring scale will register his actual weight. So the reading registered by the spring scale is not just the mass times the acceleration; otherwise, the scale would register zero if the elevator were not accelerating.

Back to your acceleration calculations. If I understand you correctly, the acceleration is 4m/s^2 from 0 to 2 seconds, 0 m/s^2 from 2 to 6 seconds, and -2 m/s^2 from 6 seconds to 10 seconds. Is that correct. Now focus on the person as a free body, and identify the two forces acting on him. Then write down (symbolically) the Newton's 2nd law force balance on this free body. This should give you enough to get what you need.

Related to Calculating Weight in an Elevator

1. How does weight change in an elevator?

Weight in an elevator changes due to the acceleration or deceleration of the elevator. When going up, your weight will feel heavier and when going down, your weight will feel lighter.

2. Why does weight feel different in an elevator?

This is due to the force of gravity acting on your body. When the elevator accelerates, the force of gravity increases, making you feel heavier. When the elevator decelerates, the force of gravity decreases, making you feel lighter.

3. Will my weight change if I stand on a scale in an elevator?

Yes, your weight will change on a scale in an elevator due to the changes in acceleration and the force of gravity. This is why your weight may appear different on a scale in an elevator compared to standing on the ground.

4. Does weight change at different levels of an elevator?

No, weight does not change at different levels of an elevator. However, you may feel a slight change in weight due to the acceleration or deceleration of the elevator.

5. How does weight in an elevator affect the scale reading?

The weight on a scale in an elevator will be affected by the changes in acceleration and the force of gravity. This is why the scale reading may appear different in an elevator compared to standing on the ground.