Calculating What Date Will it Be in 50,000 Days

• Thread starter rhimmelblau
  • Start date
In summary, calculating dates in a certain number of days can be done using various algorithms and formulas. However, when dealing with leap years, it is important to take into account the rules for determining leap years in the Gregorian calendar. Some helpful resources for calculating dates include the Wikipedia page on leap years and a paper on calendrical calculations. Many spreadsheet programs also have built-in functions for date calculations. Ultimately, most calculations use Julian date calculations to determine the date in a certain number of days.
rhimmelblau
Is there a formula to calculate what date it will be in a certain number of days? I've tried to work this out on my own but don't know what to do with those pesky leap years.

Say you figured out that a comet you want to see will have its closets approach to Earth again in 50,000 days, and you want to mark it on your calendar.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Just work Mod7 .

rhimmelblau said:
Is there a formula to calculate what date it will be in a certain number of days? I've tried to work this out on my own but don't know what to do with those pesky leap years.

Say you figured out that a comet you want to see will have its closets approach to Earth again in 50,000 days, and you want to mark it on your calendar.

You should read the wiki on leap years since it's a little more complicated than just adding a day every 4th year.

Also, are you looking for an algorithm (what calculators would probably use) to find the date, or do you want an actual formula which I'd have to admit would be more complicated?

Mentallic said:
You should read the wiki on leap years since it's a little more complicated than just adding a day every 4th year.

Also, are you looking for an algorithm (what calculators would probably use) to find the date, or do you want an actual formula which I'd have to admit would be more complicated?

Looking for a algorithm I could punch into my calculator or include in a piece of code.

Alright well it's not too hard to deal with leap years. Basically, it's a leap year every 4 years, except every century (not including every 400 years).

For the Gregorian calendar, a year is a leap year if it is evenly divisible by 4, except in the case of century years (which end in '00'), which must be evenly divisible by 400. Thus, 2000 was a leap year while 1900 was not and 2100 will not be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar

This paper describes some algorithms for calendrical calculations:

http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~nachumd/papers/cc-paper.pdf

Most spreadsheets like Excel include date calculating functions built in. In any event, most of these routines use Julian date calculations, where each date on the calendar has a unique integer, called a Julian Day Number (JDN), associated with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_day

Related to Calculating What Date Will it Be in 50,000 Days

1. How do I calculate what date will it be in 50,000 days?

To calculate what date it will be in 50,000 days, you can use the following formula: current date + 50,000 days. This will give you the date 50,000 days from the current date.

2. Can I use a calculator to calculate the date?

Yes, you can use a calculator to calculate the date. Simply input the current date and add 50,000 to it. Most calculators have a function for adding or subtracting days.

3. Is there a specific method for calculating the date?

As mentioned, the simplest method is to add 50,000 days to the current date. However, there are also online date calculators and software programs that can help you calculate the date more accurately and efficiently.

4. How accurate is the calculated date?

The calculated date will be accurate based on the current date you input. However, it is important to note that leap years and differences in time zones may affect the accuracy of the calculated date.

5. Can I use this calculation for any date in the future?

Yes, you can use this calculation for any date in the future as long as you have the current date. The formula remains the same regardless of the future date you are trying to calculate.