Calculating work against gravity

In summary: I multiplied by g because it is the force exerted by gravity. The weight of a brick is already the force exerted by gravity, so multiplying by that makes sense. (2) This is something you would have to take into account when calculating the work against gravity--the height at which the bricks are lifted.
getty102

Homework Statement

Calculate the work against gravity required to build a structure out of brick. The structure has a square base with 10ft sides and is 20ft high. The density of brick is around 80lb/ft^3

Homework Equations

W=∫F*d

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the volume where V=(102) Δy
Then I found the mass=(ρ)(V)=(80)(102) Δy
Then I found the force=(gravity)(m)=(32.2)(80)(102) Δy
Then I integrated between 0 and 20 with respect to y=∫(32.2)(80)(102)y dy
which gave me 128800y2 between 0 and 20= 51520000 ft*lb
my answer is not correct and I'm not sure if I'm computing properly.

Physics news on Phys.org
getty102 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the work against gravity required to build a structure out of brick. The structure has a square base with 10ft sides and is 20ft high. The density of brick is around 80lb/ft^3

Homework Equations

W=∫F*d

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the volume where V=(102) Δy
Then I found the mass=(ρ)(V)=(80)(102) Δy
Then I found the force=(gravity)(m)=(32.2)(80)(102) Δy
Then I integrated between 0 and 20 with respect to y=∫(32.2)(80)(102)y dy
which gave me 128800y2 between 0 and 20= 51520000 ft*lb
my answer is not correct and I'm not sure if I'm computing properly.

Tell us what you think the correct answer is.

RGV

My final answer came out to be 5.152*10^7 ft*lb, but that was incorrect.

getty102 said:
My final answer came out to be 5.152*10^7 ft*lb, but that was incorrect.

Yes, you said that. I was asking what you thought was the _correct_ answer.

RGV

According to my textbook, the answer is W=1.6*10^6 ft*lb.

getty102 said:
According to my textbook, the answer is W=1.6*10^6 ft*lb.

(1) Why did you multiply by g (the acceleration of gravity)? A brick's weight is _already_ the force exerted by gravity: the "pound" is a force unit. (That is what happens when people use the confusing and outdated Imperial system of measurements in *technical* discussions; errors creep in all too easily. Imperial units are OK at cocktail parties and in backyard chats, but they ought to be eliminated from scientific computations.)

(2) Some bricks are lifted different heights. The bricks on the bottom are not lifted at all; the ones at the top are lifted the full 20 ft. Others are lifted only part way up.

RGV

FAQ: Calculating work against gravity

1. What is work against gravity?

Work against gravity refers to the energy required to move an object against the force of gravity. This can be calculated by multiplying the force of gravity (usually represented as mg, where m is the mass of the object and g is the acceleration due to gravity) by the height the object is being lifted.

2. How do you calculate work against gravity?

To calculate work against gravity, you need to know the force of gravity (mg) and the height the object is being lifted. The formula for calculating work against gravity is W = mgh, where W is the work, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height the object is being lifted.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work against gravity?

The unit of measurement for work against gravity is joules (J), which is the same unit used for measuring energy and work in other contexts.

4. Can work against gravity ever be negative?

Yes, work against gravity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the force of gravity. For example, if an object is being lowered from a height, the force of gravity would be acting in the opposite direction of the motion, resulting in negative work.

5. How does the angle of incline affect work against gravity?

The angle of incline does not affect the amount of work against gravity, as long as the height the object is being lifted remains the same. However, the angle of incline can affect the amount of force required to move the object against gravity, as well as the distance the object travels. This can impact the overall work done on the object, but not the work against gravity specifically.