Calculating Work and Energy for Moving Charges: A Case Study

In summary: No problem! In summary, the initial potential energy of the charges is positive and increases as they are moved further apart. The work done by the electric field is negative, while the work done by the external agent is positive. This is because the charges have opposite signs and the work done by the electric field is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the work done by the external agent. The change in potential energy from the initial state to the final state is positive.
Fabio010
Two charges
q1 = 3.0µC and q2 = −4.0µC initially are separated by a distance ro = 2cm.

An external agent moves the charges until they are rf = 5cm apart.

a) How much work is done by the electric field moving the charged from ro to rf? Is it negative or positive? What is the work done by a external agent? Is it positive or negative?

Attempt:

-W = ΔU

Initial U = ke*(q1*q2)/(ro)

Final U = ke*(q1*q2)/(rf)

-W = ke*(q1*q2)/(rf) -ke*(q1*q2)/(ro) the work is positive.

Because the Wext = -W, then Wext is negative. I think that my attempt is wrong because in next questions it answers for the potential energy of the initial state...

Physics news on Phys.org
Fabio010 said:
the work is positive.

Your equations look good, but not the conclusion. Check the signs again.

first of all sorry for posting in the wrong section.

because rf > ro

ke*(q1*q2)/(rf) -ke*(q1*q2)/(ro) is going to be a negative number

so W = -ΔU , W is positive.

something is escaping me...?

Fabio010 said:
something is escaping me...?

The charges have opposite signs.

TSny said:
The charges have opposite signs.

damn... :)So the work done by the electric field is negative, and the work done by the external agent is positive.

But one more question. The following questions of the exercise are.

c) what is the potential energy of the initial state where the charges are ro = 2 cm apart?

d) what is the potential energy of the initial state where the charges are ro = 5 cm apart?

e) what is the change in potential energy from the initial state to the final state?Based in the logic of these questions, my answer for the first 2 questions (work done by the electric field and the external agent) is wrong. Don't you think so?

So, you've essentially already answered c, d, and e in answering a and b. Two possibilities: (1) maybe they want you to be clear on the signs of each quantity and how they are all related. (2) Maybe they want you to get the work in part (a) by explicit integration of the Coulomb force.

I don't know. But what you've done looks fine to me.

Ok thanks for the help!

FAQ: Calculating Work and Energy for Moving Charges: A Case Study

What is the concept of work done on charges?

The work done on charges refers to the amount of energy transferred to or from a charged particle as it moves through an electric field.

How is the work done on charges calculated?

The work done on charges can be calculated by multiplying the charge of the particle by the potential difference through which it moves, or by integrating the force acting on the particle over the distance it travels.

What factors affect the work done on charges?

The work done on charges is affected by the strength of the electric field, the magnitude of the charge, and the distance the charge travels through the field.

What is the relationship between work done on charges and electric potential?

The work done on charges is directly related to the change in electric potential energy. As the electric potential energy of a charge increases, the work done on that charge also increases.

What are some real-world applications of the concept of work done on charges?

The concept of work done on charges is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in the operation of electronic devices, the charging of batteries, and the generation of electricity in power plants.