Calculating Work and Heat Transfer in Gas Mixture Compression

In summary, the conversation discusses a mixture of hydrocarbon gases with a composition of 60% methane, 25% propane and 15% butane by weight. This mixture undergoes a reversible, isothermal, steady-flow compression from 100 kPa and 20ºC to 1000 kPa. The task is to determine the work and heat transfer for this compression per unit mass of the mixture. The person asking for help is unsure of where to start and suggests using equations related to work and heat transfer, as well as considering factors such as temperature and steady flow. They are seeking guidance in order to submit the solution by the upcoming Friday.
stephenzztan
A mixture of hydrocarbon gases is composed of 60% methane, 25% propane, and 15%
butane by weight. This mixture is compressed from 100 kPa and 20ºC to 1000 kPa in a
reversible, isothermal, steady-flow compressor. Determine the work and heat transfer
for this compression per unit mass of the mixture.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are asking for help obtaining a solution to this problem, you must show your attempt at a solution first.

CFDFEAGURU said:
If you are asking for help obtaining a solution to this problem, you must show your attempt at a solution first.

hi there... i just can't figure out where to start... perhaps... should be using few of these equations : -

W in = q out + (h2 - h1)
Win = Q out
since it's isothermal, T1 = T2, change of KE and PE will be negligible
steady flow , mass flow rate will be constant

i just.. blurred... i hope there's enlightment... i need to submit this on coming friday.

thank you

I would calculate Win here.

For that, you'd need to figure out how pressure varies with the volume of a unit mass -- say 1 kg -- along the path described.

FAQ: Calculating Work and Heat Transfer in Gas Mixture Compression

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of the relationships between heat, work, energy, and temperature in systems.

2. What are gas mixtures?

Gas mixtures are made up of two or more different gases that are combined together in a specific ratio. Examples of gas mixtures include air, natural gas, and carbon dioxide.

3. How does thermodynamics apply to gas mixtures?

Thermodynamics is used to study the behavior of gas mixtures, including their temperature, pressure, volume, and energy. This allows scientists to understand how gas mixtures behave and how they can be manipulated.

4. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of a gas. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

5. How is thermodynamics used in real-life applications?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications, including the design of engines, refrigeration systems, and chemical processes. It is also used in weather forecasting, power generation, and material science.

Back