Calculating Work and Power from Ocean Water Pumping

In summary, the total work done in lifting the water is W = (ma)d, the work done in ejecting it can be solved with KE = 1/2mv2, and the total work done can be found by adding the work done in lifting and ejecting the water. To find the power developed, use P=gh*dm/dt. To determine the horsepower engine needed, use the fact that the pump is 90% efficient and the power developed.
Ogakor

Homework Statement

Water is pumped from the ocean to a large reservoir on land. A total lift of 140m. At a rate of 60 cubic meters per hour and eject it with a speed of 65 m/s. If one cubic meter of sea water has a mass of 1,025 kg, find:
a) The work done in lifting the water
b) the work done in ejecting it
c) the total work done
d) the power developed
e) if the pump is 90% efficient, what horse power engine is needed

given:
d = 140m
r (rate) = 60 cubic meters per hour
v = 65 m/s
m = 1,025 kg

for sure, A (work done in lifting the water) can be solved with W (work) = Fd.
Since F is not given, W = (ma)d
since a is not given, a = -v12 / 2d.

my dad said B (work done in ejecting it) can be solved with KE = 1/2mv2. But I am not sure.

Total work can be solved by adding A and B.

I don't know how to solve D and E.

Are my fomulas for A, B and C correct? What formulas should I use for D and E?
Please and Thanx! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ogakor said:
given:
d = 140m
r (rate) = 60 cubic meters per hour
v = 65 m/s
m = 1,025 kg

for sure, A (work done in lifting the water) can be solved with W (work) = Fd.
Since F is not given, W = (ma)d
since a is not given, a = -v12 / 2d.

my dad said B (work done in ejecting it) can be solved with KE = 1/2mv2. But I am not sure.

It is much easier to use energy indeed.

you were given ρ=1025 kg/m3, not 'm'.

If you have the volume flow rate of 60 m3/hr, what do you get if you multiply that by the density (convert the volume flow rate to m3/s and then multiply)?

If the energy needed to lift the water a distance 'h' is E=mgh and we differentiate w.r.t. t, we will get dE/dt = d/dt(mgh) = gh*dm/dt. We know that power P=dE/dt, so P=gh*dm/dt.

Related to Calculating Work and Power from Ocean Water Pumping

1. What is the concept of work and power in relation to ocean water pumping?

The concept of work and power refers to the amount of energy required to pump a certain volume of ocean water over a specific distance. Work is the force applied to move the water, while power is the rate at which work is done, measured in watts.

2. How is work and power calculated for ocean water pumping?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to pump the water by the distance it is moved. Power is then calculated by dividing the work by the time it takes to complete the pumping process. This can be expressed in units of joules for work and watts for power.

3. What factors influence the amount of work and power needed for ocean water pumping?

The amount of work and power required for ocean water pumping is influenced by several factors, including the volume of water being pumped, the distance it needs to be moved, the efficiency of the pumping mechanism, and the resistance of the water.

4. How can the efficiency of ocean water pumping be improved?

The efficiency of ocean water pumping can be improved by using more efficient pumping mechanisms, reducing friction and resistance in the pumping process, and optimizing the volume and distance of water being pumped. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the pumping system can also improve efficiency.

5. Can work and power calculations be used to determine the feasibility of using ocean water pumping as a renewable energy source?

Yes, work and power calculations can be used to determine the feasibility of using ocean water pumping as a renewable energy source. By calculating the amount of work and power required for pumping a certain volume of water, and comparing it to the potential energy output of the pumped water, scientists can assess the potential for using ocean water pumping as a sustainable energy source.