Calculating Work and Speed on a Ramp

In summary: So in summary, the luggage handler pulls a suitcase of mass 16.3 kg up a ramp inclined at an angle 22.0^\circ above the horizontal by a force F of magnitude 147 N that acts parallel to the ramp. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ramp and the incline is 0.264. The suitcase travels a distance 4.15 m along the ramp. After the suitcase has traveled 4.15 m, its speed is found to be zero.
Zunden

Homework Statement

A luggage handler pulls a suitcase of mass 16.3 kg up a ramp inclined at an angle 22.0^\circ above the horizontal by a force F of magnitude 147 N that acts parallel to the ramp. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ramp and the incline is 0.264. The suitcase travels a distance 4.15 m along the ramp.

Find work done by force F, gravity, friction, the normal force, and the total work done on the suitcase.

Also, if the speed of the suitcase is zero at the bottom of the ramp, what is its speed after it has traveled 4.15 m along the ramp?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_z0seeexOzus/TXscN0-sBsI/AAAAAAAAALs/IzFXWo-6lAE/s800/IMG_20110312_000306.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, since the work is the integral of the force, once i get the force i just use the fnint() function on my ti-83 to find the work...so i didn't write it out. so if i can find the correct force, the work is easy to find. but something is wrong with my forces. but thanks for being a jackass. i really appreciate your condescending attitude towards people who are just asking for help on a forum designed to help people with these sorts of things...

and just in case you need this too, here's the page where i tried to find velocity. and i even wrote out a generic integral on here so you know what i did..

IMG_20110312_151608.jpg

When you took the sum of forces in the x direction, you assumed that the acceleration was 0. This is not necessarily the case. You can use Newton 2 in that direction to solve for the acceleration. However, this question is not asking for the acceleration.
Once you identify all the forces, which you have done, and the magnitude and direction of these forces, you can find the work done by each. You don't need the calculus to do so when forces are constant...but you need to watch plus and minus signs and use the dot product rule for work done by a force.

Then, the work energy theorem states that the sum of the work done by ALL forces is the kinetic energy change. You must add them all up first before calculating the speed.

Related to Calculating Work and Speed on a Ramp

What is a ramp and how does it work?

A ramp is an inclined plane that allows objects to be moved from a lower surface to a higher one. It works by reducing the amount of force needed to lift an object by increasing the distance over which the force is applied.

What is the problem with forces on a ramp?

The problem with forces on a ramp is that the weight of the object being moved is spread out over the ramp, making it harder to lift the object. This is known as the "ramp problem" or "ramp paradox."

How does the angle of the ramp affect the forces?

The angle of the ramp affects the forces by increasing or decreasing the amount of force needed to lift an object. The steeper the angle, the more force is needed to lift the object. This is because the component of the weight of the object acting parallel to the ramp increases as the angle increases.

What is the relationship between the length of the ramp and the forces?

The longer the ramp, the less force is needed to lift an object. This is because the longer the ramp, the more distance there is over which the force is applied, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object.

How does friction play a role in forces on a ramp?

Friction between the ramp and the object being moved can affect the forces by either increasing or decreasing the amount of force needed to lift the object. Friction can be reduced by using a smoother surface for the ramp or by using lubricants.