Calculating Work Done by Constant Force on Stubborn Pig: Homework Solutions

In summary, on a farm, you are pushing on a stubborn pig with a constant horizontal force. The force does work during a displacement of the pig that is s⃗ =(5.00m)ι^.
Vanessa Avila

Homework Statement

On a farm, you are pushing on a stubborn pig with a constant horizontal force with magnitude 34.1 N and direction 37.0∘counterclockwise from the +x-axis.

a) How much work does this force do during a displacement of the pig that is s⃗ =(5.00m)ι^?

b) How much work does this force do during a displacement of the pig that is s⃗ =−(6.00m)j^?

c) How much work does this force do during a displacement of the pig that is s⃗ =−(2.00m)ι^+(4.00m)j^?

Homework Equations

W = F*d

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew this out of the given problem but I'm not sure if it is right:
boVBtZ2.jpg

With that drawing I solved for
Fx = Nsin37.1 = 34.1sin37.1 = 20.7N
Fy = Ncos37.1 = 34.1cos37.1 = 27.2 N
Fr = 34.2 N

1.) At first i multiplied the resultant to 5m to get W but that didn't work. So I took the Fx = 20.7 and multiplied that to 5m but that didn't work either.

What to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vanessa Avila said:

Homework Statement

On a farm, you are pushing on a stubborn pig with a constant horizontal force with magnitude 34.1 N and direction 37.0∘counterclockwise from the +x-axis.

a) How much work does this force do during a displacement of the pig that is s⃗ =(5.00m)ι^?

b) How much work does this force do during a displacement of the pig that is s⃗ =−(6.00m)j^?

c) How much work does this force do during a displacement of the pig that is s⃗ =−(2.00m)ι^+(4.00m)j^?

Homework Equations

W = F*d

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew this out of the given problem but I'm not sure if it is right:
boVBtZ2.jpg

With that drawing I solved for
Fx = Nsin37.1 = 34.1sin37.1 = 20.7N
Fy = Ncos37.1 = 34.1cos37.1 = 27.2 N
Fr = 34.2 N

1.) At first i multiplied the resultant to 5m to get W but that didn't work. So I took the Fx = 20.7 and multiplied that to 5m but that didn't work either.

What to do?
The problem states that the direction of the force is 37.0° counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.

Your sketch shows a force that's 37.1° clockwise from the positive y-axis.

That could cause an error .

SammyS said:
The problem states that the direction of the force is 37.0° counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.

Your sketch shows a force that's 37.1° clockwise from the positive y-axis.

That could cause an error .
Okay so it should be looking like this? :
gDGvZZ1.jpg

No. The positive x-axis is horizontal and points to the right. Start there and go counterclockwise 37.1o.

Vanessa Avila said:
Okay so it should be looking like this? :
gDGvZZ1.jpg
Further to kuruman's comment, please label the axes (+X, -X, +Y, -Y) to ensure no misunderstanding.

Is some of the difficulty here caused by the overwhelming use of digital clocks these days ?

Related to Calculating Work Done by Constant Force on Stubborn Pig: Homework Solutions

What is work?

Work is the product of force and displacement. It is a measure of the energy transferred to an object by a force acting on it.

How do you calculate work done by a constant force?

The work done by a constant force is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. This can be represented mathematically as W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement.

What is a constant force?

A constant force is a force that remains constant in magnitude and direction throughout the entire duration of its application on an object.

How do you handle negative work in this scenario?

In the context of calculating work done on a stubborn pig, negative work would mean that the force applied is in the opposite direction of the displacement. This could happen if, for example, the pig is pushing against the force rather than being pulled by it. In this case, the negative work would simply be the same equation as before, but with a negative sign in front.

What are some real-life applications of calculating work done by a constant force?

Calculating work done by a constant force is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and sports. For example, it can be used to calculate the force needed to move an object a certain distance, or the power output of a machine. It is also used in calculating the energy expenditure of athletes during physical activities.