Calculating Work Done by Force on a Block

In summary, the question asks for the rate at which work is done on a 100 kg block being pulled at a constant speed of 3 m/s by a force of 145 N at a 37 degree angle. The solution involves using the equation for work and the concept of power, resulting in a final answer of 347.41 W.
lauriecherie

Homework Statement

A 100 kg block is pulled at a constant speed of 3 m/s across a horizontal floor by an applied foce of 145 N directed 37 degrees above the horizontal. What is the rate at which the force does work on the block? _____ W

Homework Equations

work = force (dot product) displacement
work = .5m * v^2 (final) - .5m *v^2 (initial)

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the second equation and plugged in my mass as 100kg and my final velocity as 3. so i got .5(100)(3^2) = 450 W. That seems like an awful lot to me ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Its the rate at which force does work.
What is the rate at which work is done known as?

Is it power?

This is something else I've tried.

Power = work / time = force (dot product) displacement = force * average velocity * cos(37 desgrees). I cam out with 347. 41 W. Am I doing this correctly?

Solved. Thanks for jogging my memory!

Related to Calculating Work Done by Force on a Block

What is work?

Work is the amount of energy transferred to an object by a force, resulting in the displacement of that object in the direction of the force.

How is work calculated?

Work (W) is calculated by multiplying the force (F) acting on an object by the displacement (d) of the object in the direction of the force, using the formula W = F x d.

What units are used to measure work?

The SI unit for work is joules (J), which is equivalent to a force of one newton (N) acting over a distance of one meter (m).

What is the difference between work and power?

Work is the amount of energy transferred to an object, while power is the rate at which work is done. Power (P) is calculated by dividing work (W) by time (t), using the formula P = W/t.

How does the angle between the force and displacement affect the work done?

The angle between the force and displacement affects the work done by changing the amount of force that is applied in the direction of the displacement. If the force is applied at an angle to the displacement, only the component of the force that is parallel to the displacement will do work. The work done can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the cosine of the angle between the force and displacement vectors.