Calculating work done by gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work done by gravity on a 10kg bucket of water that is lifted vertically at a constant speed of 3.0m. The formula Work=Force*Distance is suggested, but the answer key uses Wext=Fextdcosθ which takes into account the angle between the force and displacement. The discrepancy between the two methods is due to the negative sign used in the latter formula to indicate the direction of the force. However, since the problem is one-dimensional, the simpler formula can also be used.
JustynSC

Homework Statement

A 10kg bucket of water is lifted vertically 3.0m at a constant speed. How much work did gravity do on the bucket during this process?

Homework Equations

Work=Force*Distance (what thought to use)
Wext=Fextdcosθ (what the answer key says to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt got me as far as plugging in: Work=(9.8m/s2*10kg)*3.0m=(98N)*3.0kg=294J
***In the answer key they used 10m/s2 for gravity, but also had a negative answer of -300J. I assume that they used the negative as a direction, but is work a vector or scalar? Looking to understand why the way I did this does not yeild the same answer, and how the formula the keys says to use works?***

Physics news on Phys.org
The force is in the opposite direction of motion, therefore work done by gravity is negative. You should change the sign of either the acceleration or the 3 meter distance, because they point in opposite directions.

Okay thanks I was thinking something along those lines, but why would the key ask to solve using that other equation? It seems more complicated than the way I did it. does my method only work in limited scenarios and the other has a broader range of uses?

Well, the equation with the angle is more general, but as your problem is one-dimensional you don't need that.

I see. In that case I will stick to my simple method :) Thanks!

In this case the angle is zero and Cos(0)=1 so both equations are the same.

Related to Calculating work done by gravity

1. How is the work done by gravity calculated?

The work done by gravity is calculated by multiplying the force of gravity (9.8 m/s²) by the distance over which the object is moved vertically (in meters) and the mass of the object (in kilograms). This can be represented by the formula W = mgh, where W is the work done, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the vertical distance moved.

2. Is the work done by gravity always negative?

In most cases, the work done by gravity is negative because gravity always acts in a downward direction, while the displacement of the object may be in the opposite direction. However, if the object is moving in the same direction as the force of gravity, the work done can be positive.

3. How does the angle of incline affect the work done by gravity?

The angle of incline does not affect the work done by gravity. The work done is only dependent on the vertical distance over which the object is moved, not the angle of incline.

4. Can the work done by gravity be zero?

Yes, the work done by gravity can be zero if the object is not moving vertically, or if the vertical displacement is zero. This means that either the object is not being acted upon by gravity, or the force of gravity is being balanced by an equal and opposite force.

5. How is the work done by gravity related to potential energy?

The work done by gravity is directly related to the potential energy of an object. As the object is lifted vertically, the work done by gravity increases its potential energy. This is because the work done is stored as potential energy due to the force of gravity acting on the object.