Calculating Work for Climbing Stairs

• Thread starter jsr219
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
Therefore, the work done is 7350 J. In summary, the work done when a 75-kg person climbs a flight of stairs 10 m high at a constant speed is 7350 J.
jsr219
How much work is done when a 75-kg person climbs a flight of stairs 10 m high at a constant speed

A.) 7.35 * 10^5 j
B.) 750 j
c.) 75 j
D.) 7500 j
E.) 7350 J

W = (f)(d)
f = ma
W= (ma)(d)

Now I'm assuming that the force is parallel to the stairs (distance as the person walks up the stairs)

so I found the force
f = ma
f= (75)(9.81) = 735.75

then I solved for work
W = (f)(d)
W = 735.75(10)
W = 7357.5 j

answer E

I'm new to to work so I just want to clarify if I'm doing the problem right or wrong
If I made any errors please feel free to correct me
We learn by our mistakes after all

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct. Work is just force acting over a distance. Here, the force is the weight of the person (force of gravity), and the distance is the height of the steps.

Related to Calculating Work for Climbing Stairs

1. What is the formula for calculating work when climbing stairs?

The formula for calculating work when climbing stairs is: work = force x distance. This means that the amount of work done is equal to the force exerted on the stairs multiplied by the distance traveled.

2. How do you determine the force when calculating work for climbing stairs?

The force when calculating work for climbing stairs can be determined by multiplying the mass of the person by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s²). This will give you the force in Newtons (N).

3. What is considered the distance when calculating work for climbing stairs?

The distance when calculating work for climbing stairs is the total vertical height climbed. This can be measured in meters (m) or feet (ft).

4. Is there a difference in work when climbing stairs at different speeds?

Yes, there is a difference in work when climbing stairs at different speeds. The faster you climb, the more work you are doing because you are exerting more force and covering a greater distance in a shorter amount of time. This means that your power output is higher.

5. How can knowing the work for climbing stairs be useful?

Knowing the work for climbing stairs can be useful for understanding the amount of energy and effort required for a particular activity. It can also be used to track progress and set fitness goals for stair climbing exercises. Additionally, it can be applied to other activities that involve climbing, such as hiking or rock climbing.