Calculating Work, Kinetic Energy, and Speed for a Stalled Car

• Thread starter KnockKnock
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Work
In summary: moving" solution is that the car would have kinetic energy even if it is at a standstill, and that kinetic energy is what the people use to overcome friction.
KnockKnock

Homework Statement

Three people, each of whom pushes with a force of 130N, can just keep a stalled car (mass 1400kg) moving along a level road. They each push with a force of 140N to get it to a service station 100m away.

Homework Equations

a) How much work do they do in moving the car to the service station?
b) What is the kinetic energy of the automobile on arriving?
c) What is the automobile's speed on arrival?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I said that: [itex]
Work=[(140N \times 3) - (130N \times 3)] \times 100m=3000J

[/itex], but I'm unsure if I correctly calculated the average force. My thinking was that the car was just moving with 390N of force (130N multiplied by 3 people), so it had no net force and was in constant motion. Once the extra 10N per person of force were applied, the car moved at an accelerated rate, so the net force was 420N-390N=30N. I can't figure out if I'm overthinking this or not.

b) I can't figure out how to get kinetic energy without velocity [itex] (KE= \frac{1}{2}mv^2) [/itex]. I can find the CHANGE in kinetic energy (work), but without knowing how much KE the car had before the 100m stretch of road I can't figure it out.

c) If I can get KE, I can easily solve for v.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
UPDATE: I asked one of my friends, and he claims that the work done in part a (which he thinks I did right) is ALSO equal to the kinetic energy in part b. I'm not sure if that's true because the car IS moving, so it has some KE even before it is pushed with the additional force over the 100m road.

Am I correct in assuming the total KE has to be greater than just 3000J, or would the motion of the car before the 100m not be considered a factor in this problem?

According to your analysis for (a), if they had just kept the car moving (130N each) they would have done no work. I'm sure they would have felt that they had worked quite hard.
For (b), how much work had they done, and how much of that had gone into overcoming friction? Where has the rest gone?

But why wouldn't there be work done when the 130N are applied? Isn't it still a force being applied over a distance, and thus work?

My understanding of work is, more or less, a change in kinetic energy, which, by its definition, is true. However, if the car IS moving and there IS a force being applied to it, doesn't it have a change in kinetic energy?

Also, I got the homework back, and you're right about (a). The work done was 320N, but I'm just having a bit of trouble with the conceptual part of it.

KnockKnock said:
But why wouldn't there be work done when the 130N are applied? Isn't it still a force being applied over a distance, and thus work?
Quite so. But if you were to apply the same logic you used originally to this case you would calculate no work was done.
My understanding of work is, more or less, a change in kinetic energy
That's useful work done, but the total work done includes losses to friction etc.

You know the force and the mass so you can figure out the acceleration. You know the distance so you can figure out the time and the velocity.

Attachments

• car work192.jpg
    car work192.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 414
KnockKnock said:

Homework Statement

Three people, each of whom pushes with a force of 130N, can just keep a stalled car (mass 1400kg) moving along a level road. They each push with a force of 140N to get it to a service station 100m away.

Homework Equations

a) How much work do they do in moving the car to the service station?
b) What is the kinetic energy of the automobile on arriving?
c) What is the automobile's speed on arrival?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I said that: [itex]
Work=[(140N \times 3) - (130N \times 3)] \times 100m=3000J

[/itex], but I'm unsure if I correctly calculated the average force. My thinking was that the car was just moving with 390N of force (130N multiplied by 3 people), so it had no net force and was in constant motion. Once the extra 10N per person of force were applied, the car moved at an accelerated rate, so the net force was 420N-390N=30N. I can't figure out if I'm overthinking this or not.

b) I can't figure out how to get kinetic energy without velocity [itex] (KE= \frac{1}{2}mv^2) [/itex]. I can find the CHANGE in kinetic energy (work), but without knowing how much KE the car had before the 100m stretch of road I can't figure it out.

c) If I can get KE, I can easily solve for v.

The implication of the "just keep the car moving" section [in red above] is that the car will move with basically zero velocity - a real conundrum. Having got the car the 100m, the amount of work done would have been 390 x 100 [force by distance].

Fortunately they apply a greater force - and thus do even more work than that.

The net force you correctly calculated will result in an acceleration of this 1400kg car - and over a distance of 100m, you could use the usual motion formulae to calculate the speed when the car reaches the gas station. [answer to part (c)] and thus calculate (b)

Alternately, the 390N force [doing 390 x 100 J of work] would get the car there with "zero" speed.
The extra work done by the 420N force will be the kinetic energy of the car (b) so you can then calculate (c).

Related to Calculating Work, Kinetic Energy, and Speed for a Stalled Car

1. How do I identify a stalled car?

A car is considered "stalled" when it suddenly stops running and cannot be restarted. This can happen due to a variety of reasons such as mechanical issues, running out of fuel, or an electrical problem. You may also notice warning lights on the dashboard and strange noises coming from the engine.

2. What should I do if my car stalls while driving?

The first thing to do is to remain calm and steer your car to the side of the road if possible. Turn on your hazard lights to alert other drivers. Then, try to restart the car by turning the key in the ignition. If it doesn't start, it's best to call for roadside assistance for further assistance.

3. Can I fix a stalled car on my own?

It depends on the cause of the stall. If it's a minor issue like a dead battery or a loose wire, you may be able to fix it on your own. However, if the problem is more serious, it's best to seek professional help. Attempting to fix a stalled car without proper knowledge and tools can be dangerous.

4. How often should I check for potential issues that may cause my car to stall?

It's important to regularly maintain your car and have it serviced according to the manufacturer's recommendations. This can help prevent potential issues that may cause your car to stall. Additionally, pay attention to any warning signs such as strange noises or warning lights and address them promptly.

5. Are there any measures I can take to prevent my car from stalling?

While some stalling can be inevitable, there are steps you can take to reduce the chances of it happening. These include regularly maintaining your car, keeping an eye on the fuel level, and avoiding drastic changes in speed or gear shifts while driving. It's also important to pay attention to any warning signs and address them promptly.