Calculating X-M-X Angles in MX6 with Octahedral Geometry | P&C Method Explained

• Thread starter mooncrater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In summary, to find the number of X-M-X angles in MX6 with an octahedral geometry, we use p&c and calculate 6C2=15. However, the solution says it is 12, as they did not count the opposite M-X-M bonds. It is not necessarily wrong, but it depends on how the question is worded.
mooncrater

Homework Statement

The question says:
Find the number of X-M-X angles in MX6, which has an octahedral geometry.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

To do this question , I used p&c .
Since there are 6 X in MX6 and we have to choose two of them . Therefore total number of M-X-M bonds will be 6C2=15.
But the solution says that it is 12. When I saw it , I noticed that they had missed the opposite M-X-M bonds. So why had they(the solution makers) not counted those bonds? Are they wrong here ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't think of a good answer to your question. We typically speak only about angles between adjacent bonds, but technically counting angles between non-adjacent bonds is not a mistake if the question is worded just "count angles between bonds".

Likes mooncrater

FAQ: Calculating X-M-X Angles in MX6 with Octahedral Geometry | P&C Method Explained

1. How do you calculate the X-M-X angles in MX6 with octahedral geometry?

The X-M-X angles in MX6 with octahedral geometry can be calculated using the P&C method. This method involves determining the number of groups of atoms around the central atom (X), and then using the formula 180° - (360°/number of groups) to calculate the X-M-X angle.

2. What is the significance of calculating X-M-X angles in MX6 with octahedral geometry?

Calculating X-M-X angles in MX6 with octahedral geometry is important in understanding the overall structure of the molecule. It can provide information about the bonding and geometry of the molecule, which is crucial in predicting its properties and reactivity.

3. Are there any exceptions to the P&C method for calculating X-M-X angles in MX6 with octahedral geometry?

Yes, there are exceptions to the P&C method. In cases where there are lone pairs of electrons on the central atom X, the X-M-X angle will be slightly less than the calculated angle due to repulsion from the lone pairs.

4. Can the P&C method be used for molecules with different geometries?

No, the P&C method is specifically designed for molecules with octahedral geometry, where there are six groups of atoms around the central atom. Different geometries, such as tetrahedral or trigonal bipyramidal, require different methods for calculating bond angles.

5. How can I verify the accuracy of the calculated X-M-X angles in MX6 with octahedral geometry?

The accuracy of the calculated X-M-X angles can be verified by comparing them to experimental data or by using computational methods such as molecular modeling. It is important to keep in mind any exceptions to the P&C method that may affect the accuracy of the calculated angles.

Back