Calculating X-ray Photon Scattering: Change in Wavelength Explained

• Thread starter Noirchat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    X-rays
In summary, in part (a) of the problem, the change of wavelength for each case (backwards, right angles, and 45° away from forward direction) can be calculated using the equation Δλ=h/mc(1-cosθ). The answers provided in the attempt at a solution are incorrect, possibly due to incorrect use of the Compton constant.
Noirchat
I'd really like some explanations please, just looking at part (a) at the moment :)

Homework Statement

Suppose three 1.02 MeV X-ray photons are Compton scattered by single collisions with nearly stationary electrons.
Photon 1 is scattered backwards, in the direction opposite to its original path.
Photon 2 is scattered at right angles to its original path.
Photon 3 is scattered in a direction 45° away from the forward direction.

(a) Calculate the change of wavelength for each case. Show your working.
(b) Suppose instead, the original photons energies were 0.51 MeV. What effect does this have on the values calculated above? Explain very briefly.

Homework Equations

None were given

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I think i use Δλ=h/mc(1-cosθ)

Photon 1:

Photon 2:

6.626 X 10^-34/9.1094x10^-31 x 3x10^8 x (1-cos90

= 0

Photon 3:

6.626 X 10^-34/9.1094x10^-31 x 3x10^8 x (1-cos45)

= 8.666x10^-13

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Noirchat said:
I'd really like some explanations please, just looking at part (a) at the moment :)

Homework Statement

Suppose three 1.02 MeV X-ray photons are Compton scattered by single collisions with nearly stationary electrons.
Photon 1 is scattered backwards, in the direction opposite to its original path.
Photon 2 is scattered at right angles to its original path.
Photon 3 is scattered in a direction 45° away from the forward direction.

(a) Calculate the change of wavelength for each case. Show your working.
(b) Suppose instead, the original photons energies were 0.51 MeV. What effect does this have on the values calculated above? Explain very briefly.

Homework Equations

None were given

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I think i use Δλ=h/mc(1-cosθ)
This would be a relevant equation. :wink:

Photon 1:

Photon 2:

6.626 X 10^-34/9.1094x10^-31 x 3x10^8 x (1-cos90

= 0

Photon 3:

6.626 X 10^-34/9.1094x10^-31 x 3x10^8 x (1-cos45)

= 8.666x10^-13
Did you have a specific question? Your answers are not correct, by the way.

vela said:
This would be a relevant equation. :wink:

Did you have a specific question? Your answers are not correct, by the way.

Great I'm on the right track then. Hmm I'm not sure why they're incorrect. Is it to do with the Compton constant?

Related to Calculating X-ray Photon Scattering: Change in Wavelength Explained

1. What is X-ray photon scattering?

X-ray photon scattering is a phenomenon in which X-ray photons interact with matter, causing a change in their direction and energy.

2. How is the change in wavelength of X-ray photons calculated?

The change in wavelength of X-ray photons can be calculated using the equation λ' = λ0(1 + h/mc(1-cosθ)), where λ' is the scattered wavelength, λ0 is the incident wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the scattering atom, c is the speed of light, and θ is the scattering angle.

3. What factors affect the change in wavelength of X-ray photons?

The change in wavelength of X-ray photons is affected by the type of material being scattered, the energy of the incident X-ray photons, and the scattering angle.

4. How does X-ray photon scattering help in analyzing the structure of materials?

X-ray photon scattering can provide information about the atomic and molecular structure of materials, as the change in wavelength of scattered X-ray photons is related to the spacing between atoms in a crystal lattice.

5. What are some applications of X-ray photon scattering?

X-ray photon scattering is used in various fields such as materials science, medicine, and astronomy. It is commonly used for analyzing the structure of materials, studying protein structures, and investigating the composition of celestial objects.