Calculation of Thomas Precession in Rindler's relativity book

• Thread starter NoobieDoobie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, you are trying to work through rindler's relativity book but got stuck at a simple approximation. You found the same answer using the same trig identity as Rindler but your result does not match his. You think you might be doing a trivial calculation mistake.
NoobieDoobie
Homework Statement
A problem from Rindller's relativity book (Check below)
Relevant Equations
Lorentz Transformations
I am trying to work through rindler's relativity book. However, I got stuck at what I think should be a simple approximation.

1689499823333.png

I calculated the angles ##\theta## and ##\theta''## using the formula for velocity transformation. If I simply expand ##\gamma(v)## and ##\gamma(v')## using taylor series and calculate ##tan(\theta'')-tan(\theta) = \frac{v'}{2vc^2}(v^2+v'^2)##. First term of this formula is precisely the answer. However, I would have to calculate ## tan(\theta''-\theta)##, invert the equation and approximate again. This doesn't seem to be what rindler wants us to do though. There must be a simpler way to derive the formula. What am I doing wrong?

Edit : If I assume ##v' << v##, I do get the same formula as rindler. I checked from Goldstein's book and he derives the same formula under the assumption ##v'<<v##. I am wondering if Rindler might just have forgotten to add it in the problem statement?

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
NoobieDoobie said:
Edit : If I assume ##v' << v##, I do get the same formula as rindler. I checked from Goldstein's book and he derives the same formula under the assumption ##v'<<v##. I am wondering if Rindler might just have forgotten to add it in the problem statement?
Yes, you are right. The assumption ##v' << v## should have been stated by Rindler.

TSny said:
Yes, you are right. The assumption ##v' << v## should have been stated by Rindler.
I'm not sure if it's necessary. I found exact formula for wigner rotation under two perpendicular boosts which turns out to be ##tan(\omega) == -\frac{\gamma_2\gamma_1\beta_2\beta_1}{\gamma_2+\gamma_1}##. Which gives the same result as Rindler under the limits ##\beta_1, \beta_2 << 1##. So we don't need to require ##\beta_2<<\beta_1## additionally.

Likes TSny
NoobieDoobie said:
I'm not sure if it's necessary. I found exact formula for wigner rotation under two perpendicular boosts which turns out to be ##tan(\omega) == -\frac{\gamma_2\gamma_1\beta_2\beta_1}{\gamma_2+\gamma_1}##. Which gives the same result as Rindler under the limits ##\beta_1, \beta_2 << 1##. So we don't need to require ##\beta_2<<\beta_1## additionally.
Oh, that's good! And it surprised me. But, I was able to verify ##\tan(\omega) = \large-\frac{\gamma_2\gamma_1\beta_2\beta_1}{\gamma_2+\gamma_1}## after some manipulations using the trig identity $$\tan(\alpha-\beta) = \frac{\tan \alpha - \tan \beta}{1+\tan \alpha \tan \beta}$$.
I should have had more faith in Rindler!

Likes PhDeezNutz and NoobieDoobie
TSny said:
Oh, that's good! And it surprised me. But, I was able to verify ##\tan(\omega) = \large-\frac{\gamma_2\gamma_1\beta_2\beta_1}{\gamma_2+\gamma_1}## after some manipulations using the trig identity $$\tan(\alpha-\beta) = \frac{\tan \alpha - \tan \beta}{1+\tan \alpha \tan \beta}$$.
I should have had more faith in Rindler!
That means I must be doing some trivial calculation mistake since I used same trig identity but my result doesn't match with ##\tan(\omega)##.

NoobieDoobie said:
That means I must be doing some trivial calculation mistake since I used same trig identity but my result doesn't match with ##\tan(\omega)##.

Here's an outline of my calculation, which might not be the best.

We know ##\tan \theta'' = \large \frac{\beta \,' \gamma'}{\beta}## and ##\tan \theta = \large \frac{\beta \,'}{\beta \gamma }##.

Here, ##\gamma = \large \frac 1 {\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}## and ##\gamma' = \large \frac 1 {\sqrt{1-\beta \,'^2}}##.

The tangent function trig identity is then $$\tan(\theta'' - \theta) = \frac{\beta \,'}{\beta} \frac {\gamma' - \frac 1 {\gamma}}{1+(\frac{\beta \,'^2}{\beta^2})\frac{\gamma'}{\gamma}} = \beta \beta \,' \frac{\gamma' \gamma - 1}{\beta^2\gamma + \beta \,'^2 \gamma'}$$
It's easy to show ##\beta^2 \gamma = \gamma - \frac 1 {\gamma}## and ##\beta \,'^2 \gamma' = \gamma' - \frac 1 {\gamma'}##.

So, $$\tan(\theta'' - \theta) = \beta \beta \,' \frac{\gamma' \gamma - 1}{\gamma - 1/\gamma + \gamma' - 1/\gamma'}$$
Simplify.

Likes NoobieDoobie
When I had tried it, I first stared at the expression for ##\tan(\omega)## and concluded there's no way it can be as simple as the answer we're looking for. Now I understand why faith plays an important role.

Thanks for the help!

Likes TSny

Related to Calculation of Thomas Precession in Rindler's relativity book

What is Thomas Precession?

Thomas Precession is a relativistic correction that describes the precession of the spin of a particle when it undergoes acceleration. It arises due to the non-commutativity of Lorentz boosts in special relativity, leading to a rotation of the particle's spin axis.

How is Thomas Precession derived in Rindler's relativity book?

In Rindler's book, Thomas Precession is derived by considering the composition of successive Lorentz boosts. The derivation involves calculating the commutator of two non-collinear boosts, which results in a rotation. This rotation is quantified to give the precession angle for a particle undergoing acceleration.

What is the significance of Thomas Precession in physics?

Thomas Precession is significant because it affects the magnetic moment and spin of particles, which has implications in atomic physics, quantum mechanics, and the theory of spin-orbit coupling. It explains the fine structure of atomic spectra and is crucial for accurate predictions in relativistic quantum mechanics.

Can you provide an example problem involving Thomas Precession?

An example problem might involve calculating the precession angle for an electron in a hydrogen atom subjected to a magnetic field. By using the formulas derived for Thomas Precession, one can determine how the electron's spin axis rotates over time due to the relativistic effects.

What are the key equations used in calculating Thomas Precession?

The key equations involve the relativistic velocity addition formula and the commutator of Lorentz boosts. One important result is the Thomas precession frequency, given by \( \omega_T = \frac{\gamma^2}{\gamma + 1} \frac{a \times v}{c^2} \), where \( \gamma \) is the Lorentz factor, \( a \) is the acceleration, \( v \) is the velocity, and \( c \) is the speed of light.